Recommendation for fine sand

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

For a good and effective DSB, would #1 sand be good enough ?

I heard from some members that there are sugar fine sand available. Where ? and how much ?

I saw in a LFS, there is something call riversand (sugar fine), would this be a good DSB ?

Any advice please.

Limpc

• SRC Member

You can get carib sea oolithic aragonite sand which is sugar fine from Sealife at $150 per pack. Otherwise just use #1.

Don't know about the riversand.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Cause I'm trying not to fall asleep so I can hand-in my lab report later at 10 am.

The pack should be about 5 kg I think. Can't remember for sure but there's only one pack size. It's good for 0.5" of sand per pack in a 4'x2' tank. There are 2 sand sizes from Carib Sea at Sealife.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hi Hon, Tanzy,

So, is it $150 for 5 kgs or 13.6 kgs ? Anyway, will check it out in sealife.

Is this consider as livesand ?

Thanks, guys.

Limpc

livesand? NO WAY!!

Bro, it's dry sand packed in bags!

• SRC Member

I just bought the fine sand at Petmart. 10kg for S$10.00. It is almost like dust.

I dunno whether I'm the last one to buy the 2 pack. Check it out.

• SRC Member

I think I might have mixed it up with the Kent sand/mud/dust. Anyway it should be very deader than dead sand at $150 for >10kg. There are better things to spend on then sand.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

#1 crushed coral should be good enough.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

i bought my no. 1 sand from OP last month.

sloping from 7" to 3" (left to right)

picked up some conflicting theories.

Ron Shimek said 4" enuf. but talking abt 0.113mm in diameter.

but since the only amt of $ i'm prepared to spend is only enough on no.1, I decided to pile it up higher.

• SRC Member

Aragonite does not dissolve at normal tank pH, so won't help with calcium levels. The only possibility of calcium being released might be due to biochemical reactions due to sand organisms and bacteria, but the amount released should be negligible.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

On the topic of sand... the last 2 days has been one big LFS drama for me! I called Marine Image and the said #1 sand is out of stock. So I got a bag of his alleged #3 sand... which was marked C-1 on the sack for $8.

Then I was told that #3 and #1 were so huge in size difference... so decided to call all the LFS on the list for #1 sand. So Sealife (being the nearest to me, other than Marine Image) had it. Went there and they tried to sell me those very same sacks marked with C-1 for $16! They said theirs was special in the sense that it is very clean and require minimal washing. :angry:

So I got a rock of Calupera and left. Intending to go back to Marine Image... but they were out of stock! Had 3 sacks last night! Sigh... these people got me so confused... now I'm not even entirely sure I'm using #1 sand... :huh:

Anyway... this is what I got from Marine Image. What do you guys think?

post-6-1043172789.jpg

• SRC Member

The colour of the sand depends on the colour of your lights in the tank. Generally the crushed corals we get are beige in colour when seen under sunlight but will be white in an artificial 10000K environment. If you really want pure white then you'll have to use glass beads.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Is smaller better? Like fine sand? It is smaller than #1 sand shown on the picture above. I just got 2 10kg bags of fine sand from Petmart. Should I call that #-2 fine sand. <_<

Can I mix it with #1 since I don't think I have enough #-2 fine sand to make 4"-5" in a 2 feet refugium.

Or should I layer them instead of mixing them?

Should I put the #1 at the bottom and the top layer put #-2? or vice versa?

Any good theory?

• SRC Member

The finer sand will settle to the bottom and float the bigger grains up after some time. In Singapore the smallest grade of crush coral is #0 (very rare), if it is smaller than #1, it might be silicon dioxide sand (a.k.a. beach sand).

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I was reading the article on sediment by Dr Ron Shimek

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

"....comprised of very fine sandy sediments that we can, without any hesitation, call MUD..."

"...In a given volume of sand, the usable bacterial surface area rises rapidly as the average particle size decreases. For example, a cubical particle 1 mm on a side has 6 square mm of surface area, while the surface area on a particle that is one eighth(or 0.125) mm on a side is a total of 0.09375 square mm. However, in the volume of 1 cubic mm, there would be 512 of the smaller particles, for a total area of 48 square mm, eight times what is found on the larger cube.

The total sediment surface area in even a small tank is impressive, indeed. In my 45 gallon reef tank, the sand bed averages about 4 inches deep, by 12 inches wide, by 36 inches long, for a total of one cubic ft of sediment. I won't bore you with the calculations, but if the average particle size is one eighth mm, and that is a good average size to have, the total sand surface area is about 14,828 square feet or just slightly over 1/3 of an acre. A LOT of bacteria can live with that amount of space!..."

So my assumption is the finer the better, right?

The 2 bags I bought is call fine river sand (description says that it had been clean and would not cause algae or diatoms) for Aquarium use.

Will get a photo of the bag when I come back from work.