BLV lamp(DE)Germany

hi, is the set from Vi...n ? do they have uv shielded glass for the set?

unless specifically there are UV-cut or UV-filter printed on the glass itself, try not to use those without any indications of UV protection whenever there are alternatives available..

tempered glass is used to prevent sudden cracks and glass bursts when water splashes onto the glass...and tempered glass tends to break in non-sharp edges...

but this tempered nature of the glass does almost nothing to block harmful UV rays....unless the tempered glass went through another process to coat it with UV coating properties

in fact....most MH holder glass are made of tempered glass more for the safety factor in the event of breakage ...but not all the glass used in such holders are UV protected :)

• SRC Member

roidan bro, where u get ur mh? roughly hw much? tinking of getting one for my clams! i'm going to set a new tank, it's a tub actually, for clams only, the clams will be abt 5 inch to the water surface. 150 watt mh enough? 10 k or 6500 k? :huh:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

got from a bro here...

its a giesemann 150W DE...inside is a BLV 10 000K bulb...

not sure a new one will be how much, maybe around 500 to 600...

a 250W version will be better of coz...more light is definitely welcomed by the clams...but hang the lights higher up and slowly lower it to avoid sudden intense lighting shock to the clams..

• SRC Member

FYI, I don't really like the BLV 20k 250W SE bulb that I have... it's way too blue for my liking.. makes all the colours merge together into one big chunk of blue... which I don't fancy but for some reason some people say that it's better for coral colouration... shrug...

• SRC Member

Dont think you guys should worry so much about UV. Glass on it's own act as a uv filter. This is why UV sterilizer are not made from glass and made from quartz. This is because if glass were used, they will filter a substantial amount of the UV rays and render the UV useless. So the tempered glass on the light housing itself act as a filter. The water and the distant from the water will further reduce the UV rays. Plus if using the SE bulb, the glass that house the bulb will act as another layer.

If in doubts, do a search on the net. :rolleyes: