Deep Sand Bed

• SRC Member

hi all, i'm setting up a new tank soon. found out i have over budgetted.so as for the sand, i saw from one of the threads that playground sand can also be used. does it make any diff? how diff is playground sand and #0 sand that is sold in aquariums. how bout sand from east coast? might be going on a "OPERATION STEAL SAND" soon..... pls advise.

• SRC Member

you better dun get those sand from east coast...

east coast water dun seem to be clean at all

they might be polluted...

frankly speaking . one packet of 10 kg of sand cost 6 bucks

i dun think it will burn your pocket

grade 0 sand is very fine..looks like powder

• SRC Member

sand from the beach would contain silicates and phosphates in abundance! much more then if u buy it from an LFS... it's much better to just buy than have water with high phosphates and silicates which would lead to high algae growth ;)

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

As I mentioned to you before... do your reef a favour & dump the idea.

Already, some of the packed coral sand sold in LFS has metal particles in them... which you have to magnet out/sieve out.

What more about our beach sand and playsand?? They are of poorer quality, dirty and contaminated.

How do you intend to remove unseen chemical pollution, crude oil patches, fertilizer runoffs etc? Wash with soap? :)

AT

• SRC Member
As I mentioned to you before... do your reef a favour & dump the idea.

Already, some of the packed coral sand sold in LFS has metal particles in them... which you have to magnet out/sieve out.

What more about our beach sand and playsand?? They are of poorer quality, dirty and contaminated.

How do you intend to remove unseen chemical pollution, crude oil patches, fertilizer runoffs etc? Wash with soap? :)

AT

:bow::bow:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead