Coral dying

:nuke: guys! i need help. let me brief u guys what i have.

4ft tank, resun cl-650 chiller, maintain at 25C. i have 2 anemonies, one is fine but one not. one hard coral with the 1/2 oval shape. what do they call? he's ok! but my tube worm is dying. is getting smallet each day. i have 4 clown, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 gamma. it's a new tank. just setup one day before chinese new year. PH 8.3 and NO2 0.1-0.3. live rock 15KG. with a skimmer.

I hope i've given enough info... thanks for listening.

• SRC Member

4ft tank, resun cl-650 chiller, maintain at 25C. i have 2 anemonies, one is fine but one not. one hard coral with the 1/2 oval shape. what do they call? he's ok! but my tube worm is dying. is getting smallet each day. i have 4 clown, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 gamma. it's a new tank. just setup one day before chinese new year. PH 8.3 and NO2 0.1-0.3. live rock 15KG. with a skimmer.

just setup one day before chinese new year. PH 8.3 and NO2 0.1-0.3.

There's your problem ;) would be good to test for ammonia too.

Its an uncycled tank, the inhabitants will have a hard time in the coming days-to weeks. You are basicly testing the limits of the coral's ability in an unstable environment.

You just need to read up on the basics, all posted & pinned in the new to the hobby section.

Give back your livestock to the LFS.

And read up on Marine reefkeeping basics as you wait for your tank to finish its cycle.

Nitrite (NO2) is toxic to marine livestock and I can assure you your livestock is suffering badly now and will probably die if you don't do what we advise.

AT

• SRC Member

Bro...

cycle ur tank need about 1 month...

to save you more $$$ you better cycle your tank before adding any live stock inside your tank.

this hobbies all you need is patient... you cant rush thing...

money is another problem...

what watt is your light?

did you buy any test kit?

you read enough to start keeping marine?

dont rush thing. do it slowly. if not you will be killing more and more fish. and waste more and more $$$ :snore:

• SRC Member

for your info.. bro

tubeworm can be serve as an indicator whether your water

is in good condition~~~ your tube worm dying slowly is a sign

telling you that your water parameter is in a danger zone

:lol:

• SRC Member

:shock: I cannot beleive how one can get started with marine aquariums out of the blues like that! :shock:

I'm new to marine aquariums too (still cycling my tank...), but I have a few years experience in freshwater stuff.

It really takes a while (months...) of reading and researching before figuring out what is what in marine aquariums. You need to know what you're getting into and your responsbility towards the wildlife (minimize your impact! :angel: ) and it's not a cheap hobby to start with. It only gets more expensive if you make mistakes.

Somehow, I beleive the LFS bear a big part of responsability with such reckless starts. I know they have to make a living too and some just want to sell sell :evil: . But a happy customer is a long term customer.

When I first visited LFS for marine aquariums, I had shop owners who had these ready to start kits with all you need to get going in less than a week: "just add the salt and the water and do test after one week. If Ok can add the fish lah... very easy lah!" I will never buy anything from those guys. They don't know the basics themselves and worse, mislead you.

:idea: Maybe the SRC can have a role to play: The SRC could come up with a chart of ethics and quality to rank LFS shops. You could have an SCR approved or recommended sticker (with a year) on the door next to the credit card stickers. Member feedback can easily be used to asses them. This might make shopkeeper more scrupulous about their business and understand the longterm benefits of good counselling.

;)

• SRC Member

err bro domino this is a forum not a organisation.. we all just help any ppls only.. we cant go out and affect ppls business...

acutally what the shop owner know about marine or not is not importance.. cause this is not a professional line...

they just sell only.. just as a middle man only..

so it's us who should go read up and learn before starting anything.. you can't build a bridge without knowing how...

any death cause during your care taking.. the fault lay in you not other...

so everyone of us must be responide to take note of how and what we should do. dont know how read and ask.. that is what this forum about.

Give back your livestock to the LFS.

And read up on Marine reefkeeping basics as you wait for your tank to finish its cycle.

Nitrite (NO2) is toxic to marine livestock and I can assure you your livestock is suffering badly now and will probably die if you don't do what we advise.

AT

mind asking some short form:

LS

LFS

IMHO

sorry, pretty new. don't know much. thanks! :bow::thanks:

Bro...

cycle ur tank need about 1 month...

to save you more $$$ you better cycle your tank before adding any live stock inside your tank.

this hobbies all you need is patient... you cant rush thing...

money is another problem...

what watt is your light?

did you buy any test kit?

you read enough to start keeping marine?

dont rush thing. do it slowly. if not you will be killing more and more fish. and waste more and more $$$ :snore:

i believe it's 40watt per pcs x 4pcs

Bro & Sis... sorry for making a terible mistake. now is to do it the right way. i've just found this forum this morning at 5am. thanks for all the comments. must appreciate...

:bow: & :thanks:

• SRC Member

what are we all talking about

check it out... and go read up some staff before you start...

hope this will help...

it really take about 1 month to cycle before putting any fish...

if you wanna rush that nothing i can say..

some LFS are just selling staff... if they tell you 1 month to cycle they asking for trouble? dont u think so.

their task is to earn $$$ they dont care what happened to your staff.

u start it right. it save u more trouble nx time. trust me. i believe u spend quite alot also right? u dont want to spend n spend anymore. so start it right.

• SRC Member

Hi Richard

here are some measures I will recommend you take to save the innocent fish and corals. This is assuming that you do not wish to give them away/ return to fish shop.

1) Buy some test kits- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Only buy additional stock when your ammonia has peaked and dropped, followed by your nitrite and then nitrate levels. Do not at any time buy more live stock until your nitrate has peaked and dropped. If you dont understand what these terms are, you really must read up. You need to know the basic theory, and when can you can/ cannot put fish in.

2) Watch your anemone VERY carefully. Once you see it going downhill, junk it asap. If it dies in your tank, it will create more havoc.

3) Frequent water changes to hopefully dilute out the high level of toxic material building up in your tank. How frequent? Gee as often as possible lor. How much? 20%? Whoa expensive on salt bro- but what to do? Thats what you must do to keep the fish.

4) Immediately remove any dead fish in your tank (or any dead matter) as quickly as possible. With luck, your clowns and most probably the nuke prrof damsel will survive, and you better treat them better for the suffering you caused these jokers ;)

5) Raise the water flow so to maximize filtration via live rock and get a good skimmer to remove any organic material or debris dissolved in the water.

If this sounds very troublesome to you, then it is only because you did not really question the fish shop owner or done enough research. Info on the cycling process would have saved you a lot of effort, and worry too. Take this time to read some of the messages posted up on SRC, and you will understand more about the basic theory that guides reefkeeping & marine fish husbandry.

The one thing in your favour is the relatively large tank that you have. A 4 footer means that the system should eb more stable, plus you have a relatively small amout of new live rock to create a nitrate spike. With luck, you might pull through with most of your fish intact, although I am not too sure on your corals though.

I dont think the others are condemning you, its just that for many people this is an expensive hobby, and they really take pride over their investment, not to mention it is not morally /ethically responsible to keep living creatures without first understanding their needs first. But hey, I have been down that road, so I understand that in your desire to start a marine setup, you have been caught up in the excitement and really dont know better. Hee hee me too once. But do take this opportunity to learn- you can blame it on ignorance once, but no second chances :)

Best luck.