Where to get big magnet?

dradttg

• SRC Member

Get it from an old speaker. The magnet is huge and powerfull!

Go to any car audio shop and ask for a spoilt speaker they don't want. Break it apart and walah! BIG MAGNET!!! :D

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

Sim Lim Tower. Buy old speakers and rip the magnet out.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Rip apart any spoilt harddisk drive and you'll obtain strong rare earth magnet free of charge!

hmmm.... how much dismantling do I have to do? Which part is the magnet? :blink:

typrobin

Yeah... I feed a nail to my brain coral every day. :lol:

Seriously... do you even know what you're asking? :huh:

Are you very new to the hobby... suggest you read up the pinned topics in the New to the Hobby forum first before attempting to start a reef tank!

• SRC Member

somtimes i wonder those corals led a better live then us, even the sand also need to use magnet sia

I wonder i eat a bowl of rice outside.. do i need to bring a mini magnet along, in case there are tiny metal fillings

inside that choke me

kkekeke

hmmm.... how much dismantling do I have to do? Which part is the magnet? :blink:

it is quite a straight forward process. the magnet is located around the actuator arm-seen an old lp player before/it look similar to the read head of a lp player. you can alway use a metal spoon to detect the magnet. one problem you may face is that most harddisk drive use torx head screws or other types of security head screws so you need to have those special screwdriver in order to unscrew them.

the magnets are very strong so becareful when playing with them. you don't want to get your fresh between them.

• SRC Member

hmm... SO much rust... what harm will it do if it remains in the sand? it will leech Iron? Fe2O3 harmful? Seems like a troublesome chore. ALl packs of sand have this much crap in them? I never even wash my sand When I first boughht them. Just dump into tank and let filter run. I'd like to think my sand is clean :) lol... Ina world on my own..

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Put your sand through a 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanner and VIOLA! Clean sand.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I TRIED to use the magnet but wah lau eh... damn tedious... not only tedious, my magnet was super weak... in the end gave up, just washed the sand and dumped it in....

Yes the process is super shiong especially if you're 16 bags to go thru.

took me quite a while actually 2 nights. First night 4 hrs spend.

2nd night I started at 5pm and when completed 6am already :P

But then I thought it's once off and since I can take the trouble to setup a marine tank might as well play safe and do every bit I can to make sure I setup correctly rather than the possiblity of having trouble later.

• SRC Member
Put your sand through a 1.5 Tesla Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanner and VIOLA! Clean sand.

you people use every method on earth.. maybe someone can go to those car scrapyard and use the magnet they have there? More powerful.. :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Yes the process is super shiong especially if you're 16 bags to go thru.

took me quite a while actually 2 nights. First night 4 hrs spend.

2nd night I started at 5pm and when completed 6am already :P

But then I thought it's once off and since I can take the trouble to setup a marine tank might as well play safe and do every bit I can to make sure I setup correctly rather than the possiblity of having trouble later.

I have 20 bags.

But now the biggest problem is to find things to rip apart. :(

Thinking of using electric wire wrapped around an iron rod.....if you see a article in the newspaper tomorrow, you know its me.

• SRC Member

I have 20 bags.

But now the biggest problem is to find things to rip apart. :(

Thinking of using electric wire wrapped around an iron rod.....if you see a article in the newspaper tomorrow, you know its me.

it should be a good idea but you must know how to rig one up.. ;)

You probably need some car batt for that too..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/