Haliea 6540 rattling away... need help!

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I came back after a weekend and to my horror, my DIY auto-top up screwed up on me.. causing the water level in the return to drop to dangerous levels... (sigh.. murphy's law)

In fact the water level was so low, my tank became a skimmer as the return pump (Haliea 6540) spewed air into the tank..

I don't know for how long this carried on.. anyway, I re-primed the pump and got it going again..

But now there's an irritating rattling sound that I cannot seem to get rid of... anyone experienced this before? I tried turning the pump off then on again but to no avail..

In fact the pump sometimes doesn't fire up when the electricity is turned on!!! :cry2::cry2:

So how? how to solve the rattling? Or is my pump beyond repair liao?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

reef2

SICCE EXTREMA if presume? My also has the same problem. I think is the design problem. Very noisy after some time even impeller no sign of damage

ervine

Maybe the impeller magnet is damaged or the shaft was warp. Do a visual inspection.

• SRC Member

took it apart.. blades okay but one SMALL SMALL little part of the impeller chipped, I also donno what is it called... at the tip of the impeller (next to blades) looks like 2 "C" shaped things clasping the centre shaft.. one of the "C"s is chipped a little...

If I want to get a replacement impeller where can I find one?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

I think better to go back where you bought the pump. show them what happen and let them test it in the shop and listen out what they say. Also better to get the whole set ie impeller and shaft. Should not be too ex.

The 2 c clip is actually to hold the blades onto the magnet+plastic tip assembly. I guess if one of them has a slight chip, then it may not hold the blades properly that's why the blade has excess lateral movement and causing the noise. My ehiem also has the same problem after many years of running, changed the whole set and everything's fine.

• SRC Member

Wah they will still entertain meh?... Hmm.... but ehiem easy to get replacement parts (at least easier) Haliea... errrr....

Nevermind I go check with them nonetheless...

Longshot but if the replacement falls thru, think I can use some epoxy to "mould" back the chipped off part??

• SRC Member
reef2

SICCE EXTREMA if presume? My also has the same problem. I think is the design problem. Very noisy after some time even impeller no sign of damage

ervine

Maybe the impeller magnet is damaged or the shaft was warp. Do a visual inspection.

SICCE IDRA. so far Extrema still ok for me ;) in general, i feel that SICCE pumps are not meant for external operation.

• SRC Member

last time my tank came with this lousy mr. aqua pump. sometimes make the water quite warm.. then after 6months start to have little noise , followed by loud rattling noise after i open and clean the impeller. also , sometimes got power sometimes dun... one day, it became too noisy so i bot a SICCE extrema to replace it. expensive but u'll be paying for quality. silent and cool.

guess, its better to replace the pump for the sake of your fish and ur family's ears.. and yours too