Cycling

phuakl

Hi,

Will like to find out a bit more about cycling of my nano fish tank.

I have been cycling the fish tank with a dead prawn for a week. With only the mechanical filter (Sponge only) and using the water which i salt mix myself.

As i am using fan only, the water tend to evaporate. Therefore i topped up with Distilled water.

(1) Do i need to change 10% water weekly?

(2) When can i add in the Bio medium (eg.BIOHOME PLUS) in the compartment?

• SRC Member

IMO,

1) Not sure how nano is your tank but water change to some people are subjective. Quite a handful people practice this to remove the unwanted nutrient from the tank.

2) Yes, you should. The point for cycling is to allow your tank to cultivate enough bacteria to help you with breakdown the harmful ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen. So a mechanical filter will not do it. Unless you have other ways to remove them.

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

I cycle my tank with canister filter (ceramic ring and active carbon inside) and slimmer running. No fan at all water change only done when ammonia and no2 are at 0. About 3 days later I added in prawn and let it run for another week before putting in live rocks