How to "buffer" float switch?

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I have a DIY auto-top up and I've recently upgraded the tank... anyway here's my problem, after upgrading, the water in the sump is a lot more "turbulent" thus my float switch turns on and off due to the wave action in the sump...

Anybody has any ideas how to get rid of this wave action? (very minimal but still present...)

Thanks!

Ervine

how abt a small container for the float switch. Then wrap the outside with some foam. That will help to reduce the turbulance.

What what is the source of the turbulance? You might like to take are of that?

For my side the source is the output from the skimmer where it had to drop abt 2-3" so I let it drop onto a container with foam and it really helps a lot. Now my TUBBY just ON once and stays off for many hrs. Before that it was like yours ON OFF ON OFF many many times.

• SRC Member

Hi ervine/weileong :

One questions since both using top-up devices.

Can I know the height of water change before the level switch turns on/off ?

In other words, how far does the water need to drop before the switch activate the pump and once pump on, how far up the water level will be before the pump cuts off ?

• SRC Member

Hi , Nickel,,

Depends on how you adjust the float switches according to height of water u want..in you case I guess it will be put in the sump.

To to ERVINE's prob, don't quote me but I think you can try using HOrizontal L shaped switches...which is for turbalent fluids..

• SRC Member

Strange.. I just realised that it isn't wave action that is causing my float switch to go mad...

For some reason there's a "pulsing" of water in my last chamber... i.e. the water rises, then drops, then rises then drops... not VERY quickly like a wave.. but certainly a lot faster than evaporation..

Any ideas? Could it be my return pipe not being able to handle the flow? It's a 25mm pipe doing 2800l/h....