Remove your Spyware and Adware NOW!!!

KingFish

While you guys are online searching for ######, or what else to satisfy your fantasies, you'd be surprised to know just how much of crap you have unknowingly downloaded onto your system.

Spyware ... adware ... applications / applets which invades your prvacy or worse, malicious software which can cause some REAL havoc.

Anyway, my last run of Ad-aware a month ago gave me shock. My latest run of Spybot gave me a rude shock. Just a month and I have twice as many alerts.

So do yourself a favour and get some spyware/adware detection software to clean your computer system.

For the more interested, there is SpyBlaster which can detect, clean and prevent spyware ActiveX controls.

Its not really a matter of whether adware is good or not, its just personal preference. I don't really like the idea of files, or applets stored on my system without my permission.

My work requires me to visit some underground site, somehow I'll be redirected. There are popup killers which are useful, some of them can be blocked by editing your hosts file.

This break gave me some time to administrate the boxes at home, so thought you guys can do some housekeeping as well :upsidedown:

hoppinghippos, I'm sure those kids with raging hormones have a better idea of which site to visit than us :D . The sites I gave should provide some links for useful information

Many people have the misconception that with a firewall, you're protected and safe.

That is WRONG.

The Firewall is only as strong as its weakest link.

So unless you know how to configure it properly, you will still be open to attacks.

• SRC Member
Its not really a matter of whether adware is good or not, its just personal preference. I don't really like the idea of files, or applets stored on my system without my permission.

My work requires me to visit some underground site, somehow I'll be redirected. There are popup killers which are useful, some of them can be blocked by editing your hosts file.

This break gave me some time to administrate the boxes at home, so thought you guys can do some housekeeping as well :upsidedown:

hoppinghippos, I'm sure those kids with raging hormones have a better idea of which site to visit than us :D . The sites I gave should provide some links for useful information

Cool

What do u do for living?

ive been in IT sec for quite sometime as well .. will probably continue with this line after i ORD.. plz check ur PM

:huh: ... must have misread it somehow.

Cool, check your PM.

I don't trust any package these days. Even with BlackIce, a colleague sitting down the isle dialled out to an ISP, came in through our FW and changed the synchronisation shortcut of my shared drive to his local machine.

Contemplating running VMware now, wipe out everything and start from a fresh image everytime I bootup.

• SRC Member

or vulnerable version of IE :) (u can just get ur machine compromised by surfing..how fun)

that was how the source code of halflife got stolen i believe

yea.. even if ur firewall is set to disallow all outgoing connection ..but only allow incoming connection to vulnerable version of IIS ... it'll still be possible to allow complete control of the server (one way shellcode)