what is the best thing to put in a sump

• SRC Member

lr ???/ live rock is it ???/.........no picture sorry.......its just one normal 2 teet tank with a partition for the media...and one hole drilled at the side.....btw my sump works on the principal of overhead filter.....water suply by powerhead.........and return to the tank by gravity....

lr ???/ live rock is it ???/.........no picture sorry.......its just one normal 2 teet tank with a partition for the media...and one hole drilled at the side.....btw my sump works on the principal of overhead filter.....water suply by powerhead.........and return to the tank by gravity....

I guess you have lots of media in there? That would mean your 'sump' is actually an OHF. ;)

My sump is just a water collection point and a place for me to dump my bags of Rowaphos and GAC.

IMO, a sump shouldn't function as a natural filtration area. All natural filtration should take place in the main tank. The sump should simply collect water for chemical filtration and a place to put equipment, collect water for the returns.

But for small tanks, I guess a small DSB would be better than nothing... just don't let it crash! ;)

• SRC Member

i don't think AT said a DSB here would crash and not crash there... if it's in the sump, nothing can 'disturb' it therefore it's LESS LIKELY to crash in the sump then in the main tank where there are powerheads that may drop and create a sandstorm... :fear:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

"IMO, a sump shouldn't function as a natural filtration area. All natural filtration should take place in the main tank. The sump should simply collect water for chemical filtration and a place to put equipment, collect water for the returns."

This part AT commented that the sump is for his chemical filtration, equipment and water collection from and to the tank

"But for small tanks, I guess a small DSB would be better than nothing... just don't let it crash! ;)"

This is the part I am referring to about crashing in the sump.

Would really like to clarify lei. Thanks

:D

A DSB that occupys a tiny section in a small sump (comparatively to the large surface area of the main tank) will not be efficient at reducing nitrates naturally. You really need an equal or larger surface area to see best effects.

A DSB in the sump can be more prone to crashing because of the limited water volume combined with water circulation cutoff during maintenance. In my newbie days... I turned off my sump overnight and wondered why my sump DSB started to stink.... ;)

Also... usually, there is less sandbed animals in the sump DSB to turn over the surface.

If you have a properly setup DSB in your main tank... there is frankly no need for a tiny DSB in a typical tiny sump tank.

You're better off using that space to increase water volume.... rather than sacrifice it for a tiny DSB that probably wouldn't do much.

It works if you do like the angmos do... their sump tanks are usually as big as their main tanks.... using rubbermaid tubs!! ;)

When people talk about a DSB crash... it refers to the accumulation of heavy metals in the substrate that will affect the water enough to kill livestock. Its synonymous with 'old tank syndrome'... usually happens around the 7 year mark onwards... give or take a few.

Frankly, it also means you have to change out your liverock every few years too! People are still studying this syndrome... there are people with DSBs for more than 15 years and no such problems.

What I mean by 'crash' with reference to my above post is that if you allow a DSB to 'sit still' too long... oxygen levels will drop enough to affect the aerobic layer of the DSB and cause the bacteria to dieoff... causing your whole DSB to 'die' and stink.... due to increased levels of hydrogen sulfide which should only occur deep inside the DSB.

• SRC Member
When people talk about a DSB crash... it refers to the accumulation of heavy metals in the substrate that will affect the water enough to kill livestock. Its synonymous with 'old tank syndrome'... usually happens around the 7 year mark onwards... give or take a few.

Frankly, it also means you have to change out your liverock every few years too! People are still studying this syndrome... there are people with DSBs for more than 15 years and no such problems.

What I mean by 'crash' with reference to my above post is that if you allow a DSB to 'sit still' too long... oxygen levels will drop enough to affect the aerobic layer of the DSB and cause the bacteria to dieoff... causing your whole DSB to 'die' and stink.... due to increased levels of hydrogen sulfide which should only occur deep inside the DSB.

How about if I add in a "golden glider" goby that help to sift the sand, since i read that it help to oxygenate the sand bed ? Would it help ? :unsure: