Tube worm

• SRC Member

hi folks~!

im a newbie in marine aquaria area,had been rearing marine fish for 1/2yr

i used to had a few tube worm in my tank,for some reason i took them out,then for ard 1mth,i realise my sand turn greenish,seem like covered with green algae,issit becos i out out those tube worm? wat shld i do now?

• SRC Member

Check your duration of lighting, long hrs might cause it and also PO4 in water parimeter

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

Lighting should not exceed 12 hours a day and switched on at a time that allows you to view your tank conveniently.

A good Phosphate testkit will help you test the phosphate levels. I suspect the green stuff is blue-green cyanobacteria. I'll recommend getting a good protein skimmer if you don't have one at the moment.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Also to add on, if Po4 is high, try phosguard(cheaper version) to control it. If problem still persists, u have to shorthen the lighting hrs.

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

There is no 'usage' for tubeworms.

They are not like sea cucumbers, hermit crabs or snail which have a purpose in sandbed maintenance or algae control.

If you like them, keep them. They are filter feeders so pls provide the right kind of foods for them... plankton or plankton-substitutes.

Does sea water contains plankton naturally? Must I go get plankton for them if that's the case?

LOL! Sorry... i couldn't help it. YES, sea water has plankton! Without plankton forming the bottom of the natural food chain, life in the sea would not be what it is today.

Even the biggest sea creatures feed on plankton!

To point you to the right way... if you keep any filter-feeding creatures or corals in your tank ie. sponges, certain corals, tubeworms, tunicates, sea fans, gorgonians etc etc... you will have to feed them with plankton or similar substitutes. If nothing else, plankton will feed the zooplankton and micro-life in your tank, which in turn is consumed by something up the food chain and so on.

You can culture live plankton and zooplankton or you can buy bottled stuff (beware of some of them as they have been proven to be expensive and useless... go for the recommended stuff).

There is a German brand (i forgot) of bottled coral food which is quite good.

The american ones are so so but I am no expert as I haven't tried everything yet. You are better off searching the internet for users' feedback.

Marinesnow is junk from the lab research done.

I take no chances and I want the best for my tank... go read about Golden Pearls and Phytoplankton, as these are what I am feeding my tank.