Clownfish need anemone?

Virus

• SRC Member

My tank currently does not have a anemone but has a true percula. Since the introduction of this clownfish, my button has not been opening full... as i was wondering why... one day i was looking in from far and notice my clownfish kept hovering on top of the button disturbing it and caysuing it to close up...

I think this is bad as the button need to open up or it'll dieeee. My clown is trying to find a host i think...

In this case, what should i do.. i can't keep a anemone as my lights is not sufficient to keep it. I think if this carries on, my button will die off... as i already seen signs of unhealthiness in it. Initially i thought it's my water but upon a check my water para is good so far as b4.

Oh one more query.. what about my clown then...will it be stressed if this carries on w/o a host for him. AT night i saw him sleeping beside my PH.. hehehe

depends on your tank.

getting anemone risk dies off in your tank n cause major pollution.

I got a few variety of clowns.

below is what i observe early in the morning when the fishes

are still half asleep.

tomato - yuma

false clown - green bubbles

maroon - pearl bubbles

n you not getting a jewel for the clown..? its a temp solution.

long term, the jewel cannot extends it tentacles, will dies off.

Clownfishes DO NOT need an anemone to survive.

You can buy 10 anemones and if the clownfish just likes your plate coral, goniopora... it won't leave it.

I don't keeping anemones in a reef tank... do many risk factors involved... and you need to give them excellent water parameters and intense lighting.

My tiny false percula (thanks Bawater) is now being hosted by my Torch Coral). :)

so wat can we use to replace anemone?

my tank has 2 x 55w lighting(1 x white & 1 x blue/white) is it enough for a anemone?

it depends on individual fishes.. no hard rule to follow.

some clowns won't even play with certain spieces of anemone,

talk abt corals..

they should do fine w/o one, but with one, of course they

are more happy. dun expect (from clowns) much swimming with an anemone ard in the tank.

the subsitute (corals) u planning to look for your clown, going to suffer

n may even die, due to constant "attention" from your clown..

eg. u kenna always rub n bruise by a stranger each day n nite..

u felt siong bo..? esp u can't do anything abt it.. also damn stress..

• SRC Member

Hi,

Yes, it doesn't need an anemone. I saw the Wistma foodcourt fish tank. THe anemone stay at the top of the tank so much that after a few weeks it disappear (I assume it die liao).

After that, the clownfish stay take refuge in the rock itself.

IT has being in such situation for the last 2 months.

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member

AHh.. sodeska.... maybe i'll start getting leather for my tank. My tank also got yuma and torch but he just dun like it.. want to harress my button :o

I think no choice loh.. the button gonna die sooner or later due to clown harressment :(

ANyway glad to know my clown wouldn't be stressed due to no suitable host.

Thks a lot for the advice. :thanks:

And HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR to all you reefers!!

• SRC Member

Hey if I'm not wrong even if you get another coral to try to host your clown the clown will stick to its first choice of the button one...

Cause my clown last time chose my bubble coral as its host and even when I added more corals and an anemone (I didn't know better in the past) it chose to stick to the bubble..

So yup.. I think unless your button dies getting another coral might not solve your problem...

But then again you never know lah..