Mangrove Plants for filtration

Quite surprised when I read this but some marine acquarists actually uses them as a means of filtration, particularly to reduce DOCs, nitrates and other toxins.

Living in freshwater swamps, and along brackish and salt water shoreline areas. They have the ability to live in saltwater by straining freshwater from the saltwater through their roots. The cells in the roots take in water, but because the cells are so small, they do not allow the salt molecules to be absorbed. Nature's own little RO/DI unit.

It'll probably be in the sump, preferably hidden form view as it can be unsightly.... be weird isn't it?

• SRC Member

Will work but problem is that it grows too slowly. Macroalgae grow faster so can keep up. Maybe it doesn't grow fast under FL, can try MH since it's a plant that gets a lot of intense sunlight.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Macroalgae growth rate as an indicator of its denitrificationis a good gauge of it effectiveness. But as pointed out in my other thread, pruning may result in foreign agents being released in the waters.

I guess mangroves may not require much pruning if it grows slowly but I have yet to find out its capabilities.

MH eh? In a sump, maybe a stretch.

Think they mention 40W plant light should be sufficient.

• SRC Member

Tried it before because I was in Seletar camp last time so could pick loads of mangrove pods. Gave up because it did not work for me. They just slowly die because I can't give them enough light.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

This idea of mangrove came up before, you might want to search the board a bit. I think someone said that they are going to try it. Maybe you can ask that reefer how's it going.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

The report from US reefers who tried mangroves have mostly come back as negative.

1. They take too long to grow and most importantly,

2. They don't create enought impact in nutrient uptake.

A lot of them have switched back to using macroalgae.

Actually, I would very much like a trip to you know where but the weather sux now.... i hate to be wet cold and miserable especially in that place, unless we pitch a tent... lol!