Any truth

Hi, as a newbie to marine... I visited a few LFS today for real view of marine tank. Was told by 1 particular LFS that I do not need to have very good mechnical filter (wool filters) as marine fish do not excrete :blink: and recommend me a $$$ protein skimmer...

Does this really happens for marine or is he just kidding me cos he could tell that I am indeed a newbie to it.

Thanks,

• SRC Member

Huh? Of course they go to the toilet! What goes in, comes out. Great LFS advice as usual.

Wait till you see tangs poop! :sick:

Mechanical filters such as wool are not necessary because a good protein skimmer can do a better job.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Huh? Of course they go to the toilet! What goes in, comes out. Great LFS advice as usual.

Wait till you see tangs poop! :sick:

Mechanical filters such as wool are not necessary because a good protein skimmer can do a better job.

ohh... ok, so meaning that the protein skimmer will actually take care of the poop... cos he said that marine fish only urine and thats why I need a good skimmer. Does this 'marine fish dont poo' theory are always told by LFS... :huh:

Thanks,

• SRC Member

hi mac... not all LFS will tell u the same thing.. using wool is just another form of mechanical filter same as yr protein skimmer. You can don't use the wool provided u have live rock, a very good protein skimmer which can cost you a bomb and just a few fishes depending on how big is yr tank. This method is call the berlin method. Of cos using wool will help to trap all those poops which is easy to remove and maintain your tank as well as controlling the nutrients level of yr tank.

Hi hmkui, yes... I did read a little on the berlin method somewhere in this forum. Indeed, LR do cost a bomb if talking about a 4ft tank. But I believe it will be $$$ well invested in order to have a strong bio filter system.

Thanks for the clarification, think I can be more aware of such jokes in the furture when dealing with LFS.

Rgds,

The only 'living' thing on earth that doesn't poop does not exist.

Even bacteria and viruses need to excrete!

Hi AT,

Thanks for the ultimate clarification... :D Maybe I was just very naive during our little conversation... cos I had a glow of happiness in my face when I heard him saying tat marine fish do not poo...

Rgds,

You should look at the poo my porcupine and froggies give out... All healthy bowels ! :lol::lol:

Hi ozy,

Yup, I already have a very good idea over this issue... and I really have to thank everyone taking the time and having the patiences in responding to newbies FAQ all over again... Thanks a lot guys!

Wishing ALL a very Happy New Year...

Correct me if im wrong.......

Proteins come mainly from uneaten foods and are made up of amino acids.

Fishes get rid of excess proteins by converting them into urea and ammonia before excretion. This is present in 'pee'

The poop contains mainly undigested material. It can contain proteins..although not much.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Well... logically, any creature that has a digestive tract will have a poop chute. ;)

Tell that to the LFS!

Seriously, never take any advice from LFS... without a pinch of salt! :lol:

• SRC Member
Correct me if im wrong.......

Proteins come mainly from uneaten foods and are made up of amino acids.

Fishes get rid of excess proteins by converting them into urea and ammonia before excretion. This is present in 'pee'

The poop contains mainly undigested material. It can contain proteins..although not much.

Food is mainly protein,amino acids and assorted vitamins(contents directly relates to the kind of food you feed). Uneaten food won't dissolve on its own - it rots. In an established tank, before the uneaten food rots to nothing it will be eaten by the hundreds of thousands of micro-organisms and millions of bacteria. The biological process by the bacteria may lower pH around the immediate area (which may release accumulated PO4 in the sand or LR) which may lead to patches of cyano. If you have zero PO4 in the water- don't worry so much, once the PO4 source for the cyano runs out, it will go on its own or only be limited to a certain spot.(worry if you have a high PO4 level)

Same happens when a fish dies and you can't find it.....only cyano.

The Food chain doesn't end with fish - it goes down much futher.

Fish excrete - which again will also be assimilated in an established system (which is why you never get elevated ammonia in an established tank once the biological process is established) - bacteria and algae will take it up.

Fish poop - will be foods for others , it breaks down and gets covered in bacteria which is then caught by some corals - this is just one ingredient in the particulate matter you see floating around. Bacteria is one of the major foods for corals.

The balance will find itself over time , you just need to take care of the tank parameters and the system will evolve itself.

That is why no 2 tanks are the same.

:) Plastic Fish don't poop or pee

• SRC Member

Just a minor addition, fish rarely excrete urea except for sharks and rays. Almost all other fishes pass nitrogen as ammonia.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Plants dun poop, or do they?

Never seen them poop though...

Then again, corals poop? <_<

yes.. they 'excrete' gases... :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

By the way how does Anemone poo???? I feed my tube anemone and bubble with dried prawn and have always been wondering how do the poo???? :erm:

• SRC Member

Through their mouths.

post-36-1093875548.jpg