Seldom seen corals - Anyone?

Stenopus Hispidus

• SRC Member

Attached is a rare Lobophyllia with green "hairs". Its been with me for 7 years now and I have been trying to locate another piece all over S'pore but to no avail...although I have seen other common colour variants emerging every now and then. Got it from Sam when he just moved from Bukit Timah to Hong Leong for $30...and it was the only one he brought in. At that time, the price was exorbitant but its logetivity sufficiently made up for it. I must say, he had a way of surviving any crisis I had with my tank when others just surrendered.

Anyone with other rare or interesting corals to share? :rolleyes:

post-7-1033495238.jpg

Now that is one AMAZING colour morph!!

I have one in my tank but it bleached and turned pale due to a very long spell of overheated water due to a chiller 'accident' when I was out of town.

It couldn't hold a candle to yours... your is like WOW!!!

I do have rare corals... scolymia (meat corals) which are bright red and another which is flourescent green.

You can see it in my main tank... http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...8e5dd5e1a610450

• SRC Member

Thanks for your compliment. It wasn't as green when it was first bought. I think it got richer in colour after sitting directly under the 20000 Kelvin halide for years.

Feel sorry about your lobophyllia and I completely understand your predicament. Chiller breakdowns are among one of a reefers worst nightmare esp. for people with big tanks and livestock worth more than their chillers! Since you are investing heavily in your project, are you planning on keeping a backup chiller...just in case. Touchwood, of course but I really think you should! You should also plan for a UPS to run a few critical powerheads within your tank just to keep water circulating and supplying crucial 02 in the event of a power failure at least until the time you get back.

Pretty impressive meat corals you have there and by putting them side by side your created a stark contrast. I think that was your intention right? I used to have the red morph with grey/blue highlights just like yours quite a few years back but I made a mistake. I put in a "cute" bicolour cherub in there and thereby began its decline otherwise they open huge and are very hardy. That fish seems to have a fetish for mowing down the meat coral starting from the thorns. "Wrong fish in a 4-feet fully stocked reef tank" - that's another reefers nightmare. Well, I learnt my lesson and paid for it in full.

• SRC Member

Glove polyps. They are beginning to grow onto the side glass of my tank. Growth is a bit slower than my green star polyp though but nevertheless, growing...

Heh :P Not my intention to make people drool actually. Just thought that it would inspire people to put pix of their own beautiful corals up close as well as to inspire faltering beginners not to give up a dream as they can make it too. At the same time, I can experiment with the digital cam's manual and macro functions.

I am sure there must be someone out there with some unique corals to show. The diversity is boundless in the ocean. Sadly, I seem to be the only one posting pix on this thread, hmmm...what did I missed, huh?

Sigh :(

post-7-1033705352.jpg

• SRC Member

S. hispidus,

Thanx! You found the picture of my pink cloves! Stop showing off my tank to everyone!

biglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gifbiglaugh.gif

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif