Skimming with 2 PS

jsoon

A number of hobbyists have attempted using more than 1 protein skimmer, the verdict is exactly what AT has mentioned.

But I suppose it differs from tank to tank.

You can try and post the results.

If both skims well, excellent, otherwise it serves no more than being an aerator and adding more heat transfer to your water.

• SRC Member

I do agree....

2 skimmer serve no purpose.

I was using a macro skimmer last time and it works well.

Later I added another weipro skimmer thinking that it would work better.

The results: The macro is not producing any skimmate.

All the jobs are left with the Weipro.

Conclusion: I sold both away and upgraded to a better one.

Even if you use the same make and model... subtle differences will affect both and make one perform a little better than the other.

Eg. slight differences in the workmanship or operations will affect how much foam is produced eg. needlewheel impeller damage (where applicable), the smoothness of the wall surfaces due to imperfections or even slime, coralline algae, microalgae buildup, how often you clean the collection cup, blockage of your venturi valve... etc.

In theory it sounds plausible... but in practice... it doesn't work that way.

• 6 months later...
Even if you use the same make and model... subtle differences will affect both and make one perform a little better than the other.

Eg. slight differences in the workmanship or operations will affect how much foam is produced eg. needlewheel impeller damage (where applicable), the smoothness of the wall surfaces due to imperfections or even slime, coralline algae, microalgae buildup, how often you clean the collection cup, blockage of your venturi valve... etc.

In theory it sounds plausible... but in practice... it doesn't work that way.

Sorry for bringing this old thread back. But I am considering 2 PS myself.

IN theory, if the PS are placed parellel to each other, i.e. side by side (with a buffer distance) where the water flow direction is, then the pumps will suck in water without affecting each other. With more flow into PS, it should pick up more skimmate.

How about if one PS in sump and the other in the main tank?

:thanks: