• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Is it wrong to give suggestions? :blink:

Next time I juz keep my mouth shut... :sick:

Naa they dun mean it(to ask u shut up .. barra & arcane r nice guys .. :eyebrow: ), like myself i oso hope it will stay free for all to interact and learn as well .. I really appreciate it .. but sure hope there r some system to keep out prankster and those who post nonsense juz to gain 'ratings' the whole night ...

mydog.gif

• SRC Member
I also do not think premium is a gd idea.

As fo rthe warning system, I think that is gd. Maybe SRC can restrict all comments direct to any members/individual. This should minimise those flaming thread.

Juz my 2cts

With regards to the premium thingy... sorry dat I brought it up.... didn't expect such a strong reaction.... like what bro Barracuda say, when it comes to $$$, hiaz.... sensitive sensitive... sorry... :peace:

Warning System? Wah.... then must start buying moderators kopi and also abide to their bidding liao... :lol::D:lol:

AT, is there really such a system? I tok u were juz kidding... no joke, if there's really one, then why not use it? It's great to keep members in check.... but then again, u can't keep away those "snipers"...

I coin the term "sniper" for those people who register and put in one sarcastic remark cause they function the same... one shot to kill... :lol::D

• SRC Member
I coin the term "sniper" for those people who register and put in one sarcastic remark cause they function the same... one shot to kill... :lol::D

I guess for that Moderator has the rights to delete such post anytime as they deem necessary. Not a big issue except increase of workload to mod. But in a long run, such "sniper" will go away as they are not acheiving their objectives.

cheers

Maybe I can share how arofanatics moderation works.

Each sub forum will have its own moderator and that moderator will take charge of that sub forum. Most of the daily chores and culture are set by that moderator governed by general rules of the main forum.

There is also 2 Super moderators which will oversee all the operations of the sub forum moderators. Then there is a asst. admin for database problems and discipline of all moderators.

Moderators will have access to a discussion room with only mods and admin have access. From there mods can highlight troublemakers and the particular submod can check on that troublemaker.

All posts are not deleted but moved to a bin where only mods and admins have access. This bin serve as a reference if users complaint about their threads/posts being deleted. Hope this helps

Hi Barra,

Looks like Aro and SRC has the same system as with all the oher portals that I run for my work. (I have 20k members in that one).

SRC's rather focused on the marine hobby and we won't need moderators for every single aspect of this hobby, unlike arofanatics which has different freshwater species and a marine section which can be led by people with expertise or respected enough to head them.

SRC mods are more to keep things tidy here.

And yes, we do have our own Mods Room where we discuss stuff and move nonsense stuff into.

Errr.... why is this brought up? :erm:

Frankly, threads like these do not further the purpose of the forum, therefore I really don't have anything constructive to add.

However, the sub-topic of how we can revamp this site may be of use. If I may suggest, lock this topic until we can compile them together with all similar threads into a Skimmate Section; where all forumers should strive to avoid.

Then start a fresh topic to continue the revamping discussion.

Now at least we can see some form of yield.

• SRC Member
Naa they dun mean it(to ask u shut up .. barra & arcane r nice guys .. :eyebrow: ), like myself i oso hope it will stay free for all to interact and learn as well .. I really appreciate it .. but sure hope there r some system to keep out prankster and those who post nonsense juz to gain 'ratings' the whole night ...

barracuda & arcanehacker are nice ppl, dat i noe... but was quite surprised by the strong aversion... :lol:

gain 'ratings'... IMO, some members here think by chalking up high ratings and become a tuna or something, they like wahhh... champion liao! But then, they never think that if their reefing experience dun chalk up the same, it's quite embarrassing isn't it?

I myself am an amateur reefer and still learning from the pros here.... To be honest, can be quite malu if my experience dun match my number of postings... :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Honestly speaking, when I first came to this forum, I wonder why there's a kopitiam section...

At first, I think it's to build up rapport btw reefers but then again, as time pass by, I see it becoming more of a portal ushering jokers and cracks... Isn't this section sort of a double-edged sword? Juz my opinion

Frankly, threads like these do not further the purpose of the forum, therefore I really don't have anything constructive to add.

However, the sub-topic of how we can revamp this site may be of use. If I may suggest, lock this topic until we can compile them together with all similar threads into a Skimmate Section; where all forumers should strive to avoid.

Then start a fresh topic to continue the revamping discussion.

Now at least we can see some form of yield.

Hmmm.... interesting idea! Subdivide the Kopi Tiam into a Skimmate Section, where crap goes into.

But people being people... sigh...

Do we delete crap and so deny individuals the right to participate in discussions and 'right the wrong' or do we come up with a system where people are screened before they can participate in SRC?

• SRC Member
Do we delete crap and so deny individuals the right to participate in discussions and 'right the wrong' or do we come up with a system where people are screened before they can participate in SRC?

Objectively, if you wanna have kopitiam section, then be prepared for more craps... dat's my opinion... since kopitiam basically means tokking crap and it's a portal that promotes dat sort of behaviour and talk... I myself admit dat I am a "victim" to kopitiam... Dunno why but it's probably the casual talk dat makes it so captivating...

You have to ask yourself if you wanna be doing this all the time... clearing crap can be very time-consuming... IMO, screening people is our first defence line that I think we should consider...

Honestly speaking, when I first came to this forum, I wonder why there's a kopitiam section...

At first, I think it's to build up rapport btw reefers but then again, as time pass by, I see it becoming more of a portal ushering jokers and cracks... Isn't it a double-edged sword?

The kopi tiam section was setup for people to discuss stuff aside from reefing.

We have gone off topic so many times that if we didn't have the Kopi Tiam section, we'll be lumping things like this issue mixed with coral ID questions.

Being a community, the kopi tiam has been a great place for us to relax, seek non-hobby related help & advice... do you guys want the kopi tiam secton closed?? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

barracuda & arcanehacker are nice ppl, dat i noe... but was quite surprised by the strong aversion... :lol:

gain 'ratings'... IMO, some members here think by chalking up high ratings and become a tuna or something, they like wahhh... champion liao! But then, they never think that if their reefing experience dun chalk up the same, it's quite embarrassing isn't it?

I myself am an amateur reefer and still learning from the pros here.... To be honest, can be quite malu if my experience dun match my number of postings... :paiseh:

I'm very nice .. I bring tasty cookies to pple :P

ohh .. may I suggest that all posts in kopitiam would not be counted so that pple would not post rubbish to gain posts.

• SRC Member

We have gone off topic so many times that if we didn't have the Kopi Tiam section, we'll be lumping things like this issue mixed with coral ID questions.

Being a community, the kopi tiam has been a great place for us to relax, seek non-hobby related help & advice... do you guys want the kopi tiam secton closed??  :rolleyes:

Of coz not! The kopi-tiam section is fun...

But then again, I brought it up because u were commenting that there's too many cracks & loosecannons coming into the reef club and dat's set me wondering.... isn't kopi-tiam encouraging such behaviour? Sensitive talk, offensive jokes and all....

I am guilty of it myself..

I started at this club surfing the reef sections but slowly see myself "drifting" to the kopi-tiam section for laughs and jokes... :D:lol: That's when the imp in me starts to manifest... so dun blame me... :angel:

Watching 'the Practice' ... very interesting case, must admit Kelly is a genius, can't concentrate ... throwing ideas as I would in any brainstorming session.

Agree, Kopitiam (a.k.a Sump) can go on as it is, however it should be restricted to the section, and that alone. That would also be where I would discuss with other fans of Kelly's.

There is quite a bit to be done, drawing up a comprehensive and wide covering Terms and Condition for use of forum which all members are required to acknowledge and comply. We do have legal professionals to assist.

Thereafter, a reverification exercise to be conducted to weed out multiple, redundant accounts. Some grace period would be given.

Then, followed by heavy moderation / enforcement.

That is a basic 3-prong approach, you guys can develop and flesh it out :)

• SRC Member
ohh .. may I suggest that all posts in kopitiam would not be counted so that pple would not post rubbish to gain posts.

Dat's a good suggestion!

AT, Is this possible with the system... It's worth considering for a start....

Anyway... is this Andrew fella ever gonna show up??

I have a good mind to call up Deon and ask his help in locating this individual who's accusing me of something I didn't even say!!!

Being a community, the kopi tiam has been a great place for us to relax, seek non-hobby related help & advice... do you guys want the kopi tiam secton closed?? :rolleyes:

Hi

AT, Even if kopitiam were to close, he/she can still access to other forum to post anything he likes rite?, so I don't think by closing kopitiam will help. I do have a suggestion in order to prevent duplicate user, if having the same IP is detected no new ID is generated. Hope this can work.

Dat's a good suggestion!

AT, Is this possible with the system... It's worth considering for a start....

I dun see any big deal with the post counts..

not like u make any "killing" that u are proud of..

eventually its still wat ppl make of u when they see u..

of course time proves almost everything..

• SRC Member
Anyway... is this Andrew fella ever gonna show up??

I have a good mind to call up Deon and ask his help in locating this individual who's accusing me of something I didn't even say!!!

AT still pissed over Andrew's case... :lol::D

Agree with Rumor... we have to do this strategically like what he said...

1) Set Imperial laws "aka" Terms & Conditions

2) Proceed with "Sook Ching" Operation to purge out operatives & double agents.

3) Designate Kempeitai "aka" moderators to keep law & order...

4) Implement torture... boredom is the best so account suspension can be considered...

Sayonara!