7 Day Purple Tang

• SRC Member

Bought a PT from SeaLife last Wednesday.

It was healthy and eating. In fact, after acclimatisation, the PT immediately start eating and is quite active. It even glazed on my nuisance algae.

It's colour became brighter and colourful, all signs of good health.

Then, yesterday, it started to hide in cave and refused to feed. And this morning, it went back to meet the heavenly father.

I was quite disappointed, and I wonder what happened! All the other fishes and corals are ok. What caused this tragedy?

Is this normal for purple tang? My friend told me that the fish was probably been supported by the medicinal water in the LFS and when it arrived in my aquarium, the medicinal effects were wearing off and finally, the fish gave way.

Can such things be true? :(

• SRC Member

Dear LiveRock,

I am very sad that such a thing happen. Bot a Purple Tang from SL too, tat was 2 yrs back. :(

It went thru' quite an adventure wif me...it is my 1st batch of fishes that I bot and went from my old 4ft tank to my current 3ft tank...went thru turbulance in my 3ft tank becos of my lack of knowledge...it is still rite here today. :P it is one of my favourite fish together wif my PBT & Majestic.

LFS i believe they introduced some copper supplement into their tank in order to enhance their survival in their tank. The fact tat it is feeding properly and colour are enchanced(in your tank), it shows tat the health of your beloved PT is fine :)

The cause of it's death probably due to intimation by other fishes inside your tank? Do you have a yellow Tang or Tang of the same species? :unsure: According to wat i know, Tang of the same species will fight agst each other for territorial rites :angry:

To console you, I went to Hawaii, they have 2 newly arrived PT. Hopefully they can substitute the one tat you have lost tis morning :unsure:

post-6-1042618518.jpg

• SRC Member
I'm thinking twice before I look for another one.... and it is not cheap....

btw...how much SL sell it for? Hawaii selling reasonable price

if u have a 1feet tank?i suggest you dun try to rear Tangs, Tangs need alot of swimming space and grows well :)

For those interested. Yellow Tang, Kole Tang and the one and only Achilles Tang currently available in Singapore, has landed at Kranji (Neo Tiew Cres) yesterday.

Ps. Nobody else have stock on the above mentioned Tangs in Sin besides them. I've been round amost every where hunting for tangs.

• SRC Member

I paid nearly $50 for the PT. On the high side, I think.

I bought a small speciment and intent to give it away when it outgrow my tank. I was very very very happy when it cleared my nuisance algae; brown, green, hair, everything it also wallop... but now its gone, gone, gone.... :(

• SRC Member

sorry to hear about your PT ... think they are really an asset to the tank ... cos they are really hardy and takes to most food ... and of course fanastic colours !!

i had mine for like 3 months liao and colours seems to be really waesome now ... :P

post-6-1042719718.jpg

• SRC Member

Not to mention super aggressive! My clowns have lots of scars to prove it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

yah , my clown kena whack for a few days but survive the ordeal and now they know their own territory and also have given up the idea of adding a yellow tang to the tank cos it will coz a major war in the tank again and might cos some death .... .... :(