Durso pipe

Here's a photo of my external overflow compartment with two durso pipes.

overflowboxwithstandpipes2.jpg

(ignore the hose and blue basket.... it was there to filter my water during my initial setup.. that's a very old pix).

They basically raise the water level in your overflow chamber so you don't get a waterfall that creates a lot of noise.... and the durso standpipes will drain water quietly into your sump.

standpipesballvalves.jpg

They also will convert your overflow chamber into a sort of refugium as the water flow there is a lot slower and since no fish get in there... your pods will multiply in there easily without predation... detritus will also collect in there... making siphoning a lot easier.

• SRC Member

AT,

Just to check with you, I may be mistaken but I spotted from the picture that there is filter wool as the first layer when the water flow in to the Durso.

Do you think is a good practice to put a filter wool when the water enters to the duro filter ?

overflowwfilterwoolholder.jpg

Here's a pix of my modified filterfloss holderplate made with undergravel plate.

This pix shows it before I inserted my durso standpipes in. It's been cut to size and extended from end to end so it can be wedged between the standpipes and glass ledge directly under my overflow teeth.

Water flows past the overflow teeth and into the filter floss. The filter floss helps to catch any loose food particles eg. nori strips etc that may make it down into my sump and my pumps.

Potentially yes... just ensure that water flow is fast enough to provide oxygen for the topmost layer. A lot of detritus will settle as the water flow in a overflow chamber with durso is pretty slow-moving at the bottom.

You can solve that problem by throwing in a few hermits or bristleworms to clear the detritus or siphon it out.