Pomacanthus hybrid

• SRC Member

Hello all, I am an exporter from Kenya and have this hybrid in my station. Plenty of debate amongst the staff as to the parents. Any ideas?

It looks like a hybrid of Pomacanthus Maculosus and semicirculatus . No sign of Chrysurus or imperator at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

post-21270-0-48014600-1329919235_thumb.jThanks Trevally, looks like you know your marines even though you are well inland. Not sure it is a semi - mac. Attached is a photo of a semi mac of roughly the same size. The body colour is not as vibrant and the big distinction for me is the colour and pattern of the tail?

• SRC Member

post-21270-0-48014600-1329919235_thumb.jThanks Trevally, looks like you know your marines even though you are well inland. Not sure it is a semi - mac. Attached is a photo of a semi mac of roughly the same size. The body colour is not as vibrant and the big distinction for me is the colour and pattern of the tail?

Hi Hybridhunter,

I am only a angelfish fanatic  too crazy over angelfishes. The first picture with more vibrant colour looks more like male maculosus x with a female semicirculatus. Not sure any possibility of a Koran and chrysurus? But my bet are more on the Mac x Semi. 2nd pic should be Male semi x female Mac. Let us know if you have the answer for the first piece. Cheers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Senior Reefer

My guess would be P. Chrysurus x Maculosus, but most probably a juvenile maculosus from kenya.

maculosus from kenya can retain juvenile colors up to really large sizes of 4-5 inch, like these below.

post-15755-0-42338200-1330018566_thumb.j

post-15755-0-34267100-1330018572_thumb.j

Thanks Trevally and Lemon. I normally get 2 - 3 hybrids a month and usually they are fairly straightforward to id - like the mac semi I posted for comparison. Some are clearly hybrids but because they are more semi than mac, they are not so attractive and therefore difficult to sell as hybrids! The reason I am trying to get an id on this fish is that it will be sold to Hong Kong and a chrysurus / mac is worth a lot more than a semi / mac!

• SRC Member

I don't think the first picture is a Kenyan juvenile maculosus. The tail part telling me it is most likely a hybrid. Should be a hybrid if Mac. It is a juvenile most probably a 3 inches specimen and at such size, the colour pattern will looks like a juvenile Mac. Cant really tell the hybrid of which and which.. I had kept few Kenyan maculosus from juv 2 inches, 4 inches and 7 inches, lemon is right as my 7 inches still show white lines.

My guts telling me it is a Mac x semi and it will grow to a beautiful one. Bro Hybridhunter you can send to my house haha.

• SRC Member

Hello all, I am an exporter from Kenya and have this hybrid in my station. Plenty of debate amongst the staff as to the parents. Any ideas?

Hi Hybridhunter,

i found this in EZ marine Taiwan website. They brought in this hybrid before stated as Pomacanthus Maculosus x Pomacanthus Semicirculatus. Am i right to say your hybrid is around 2 inches that is why the yellow moon has not appear yet?

Hope this can help.

The picture should show some 3-4 inches.

post-4953-0-89495700-1330090015_thumb.jp

post-4953-0-53070500-1330090023_thumb.jp

post-4953-0-41638400-1330090031_thumb.jp

Hi hybridhunter,

I would say 95% a semi x mac.

The line patterns at the end of the caudal fin is a result of the semi blood which would most likely be absent if it is a pure chrysurus x mac.

The more yellow tail could be the result of a stronger maculosus blood.

However we cannot rule out the small possibility of the fish being a tri-hybrid, that is a mac x semi x chrysurus.

It is v hard to confirm until the fish grows bigger.