noob question : how to reduce nitrates

seeking advice from experienced reefers out there on how to reduce the nitrate level in my tank. tank is around 1 1/2 years old, 3ft long

... was okay until nitrate level spike up to about 50 and corals started dying... many thanks

• SRC Member

Thats very high. if you corals started dieing , you can do a major water change. Is there dead fishes or corals undetected in the tank or so?one way to reduce nitrate is to reduce nutrients level.

• SRC Member

Regular water change.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 1 month later...

I am just curious are there any battery operated test kits to test for nitrate or nitrite or maybe ammonia?

There're test meters on the market for monitoring Nitrates. One of them is by American Marine & selling for S$400+

AM%20nitrate%20monitor.jpg

What kind of skimmer and tank setup are you having?

:)

Thanks Ah-lim,

I just started this, and i have just started to cycle my tank for about 4 days. The prawn i threw in are left about 30% visible from its original size.

I am going to do a fowler tank.

i got another noob question, while cycling my tank when i see the prawns no more in the tank should i throw in another set of prawns for my cycling?

i haven aquascape my tank yet. i only have a few dead rocks in it. can i add in more dead rocks at a later stage? will it affect the cycling process?

• 2 weeks later...

Ats will not remove nitrates when initially started, as there will not be any algae growth on the first few weeks. Alot of ats implementation i see do not have good algae growth on them. Water changes will be your best bet.

basically u dun nid to throw in another set of prawns, bt it is recommended to do a w/c after finish cycling, try to cycle for at least 1 mth or longer to ensure ANN cycle finish n tank parameters stabilize before adding any fishes. my 2 cents

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Notify admin to restart his posts(spam) back to 0

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

hi i am new in marine tank. i wish to convert my fresh water tank to marine tank. in fresh water sump tank is mandatory especially with all those carnivors.

how about in marine? since live rock and deep seabed sand been a good media for biofilter?

• SRC Member

hi i am new in marine tank. i wish to convert my fresh water tank to marine tank. in fresh water sump tank is mandatory especially with all those carnivors.

how about in marine? since live rock and deep seabed sand been a good media for biofilter?

before u convert, do take note that ur current tank, the structure, thickness, design, cabinet/material used to hold the tank n etc can withstand the load of saltwater? If ur tank has met the requirement, then u can proceed to the nxt step.

i'm sure alot of reefers here can give advice/guide u along.

Do read up at the "PINNED" at this forum