using active carbon for long term

• SRC Member

I've been using active carbon for 6 months + from now and i change the carbon every 3 months rather than 6 months as recomend by other members because i dun wat to take the risk of carbon releasing toxic after its "expiry date"

recently, i read an article saying that active carbon should be use only when needed. This is because active carbon absorb useful mineral such as iodide, magnesium, strontium & etc as well.....

at the same time, the article also mentioned that low quality carbon also release phosphate to the water...... how should we grade the active carbon then? by price? by reputation? by recomendation? I'm currently using Ocean Free active carbon, bought at $6.50/500g packet. Izzit consider high grade active carbon?

Please advise....

I doubt if the Ocean Free carbon is even considered medium grade. They are known for cheap products but if you're on a very tight budget, they will do. ;)

Proper usage would be to use small quantities that you change out weekly rather than to soak a large quantity for very long periods as carbon works very quickly and efficiently within the few hours and this continues on with diminishing returns over the next few days.

By the end of the first week, the carbon should be saturated and by then, the pores of the carbon pieces may have also been quite covered by detritus and slime, affecting its effectiveness.

Leaving the carbon for long periods (a month and longer) is thus senseless and you may even see a leaching of absorbed stuff back into the water as the carbon breaks down.

Too many reefers don't realise this and use carbon inappropriately.

• SRC Member
I doubt if the Ocean Free carbon is even considered medium grade. They are known for cheap products but if you're on a very tight budget, they will do. ;)

Proper usage would be to use small quantities that you change out weekly rather than to soak a large quantity for very long periods as carbon works very quickly and efficiently within the few hours and this continues on with diminishing returns over the next few days.

By the end of the first week, the carbon should be saturated and by then, the pores of the carbon pieces may have also been quite covered by detritus and slime, affecting its effectiveness.

Leaving the carbon for long periods (a month and longer) is thus senseless and you may even see a leaching of absorbed stuff back into the water as the carbon breaks down.

Too many reefers don't realise this and use carbon inappropriately.

for a month and longer!!! better take oit out now!!!

btw, any recomendation for active carbon which is affordable, yet does'nt release phosphate?

btw, any recomendation for active carbon which is affordable, yet does'nt release phosphate?

The new range of GAC that has hit the market that is comparable to the more expensive Seachem GAC (which I have been using for the past few years) is Reefez GAC, which I am now switching to!

ReefeZ%20Carbon%20Plus%20450ml.jpg

You can order Reefez Carbon Plus right here in SRC!! - hope you'll support SRC by buying it from here! :)

AT

• SRC Member

The new range of GAC that has hit the market that is comparable to the more expensive Seachem GAC (which I have been using for the past few years) is Reefez GAC, which I am now switching to!

ReefeZ%20Carbon%20Plus%20450ml.jpg

You can order Reefez Carbon Plus right here in SRC!! - hope you'll support SRC by buying it from here! :)

AT

but how about the other problem that i mentioned previously? does active carbon asorb other trace element in the SW? the Reefez active carbon is pretty reasonable compare to seachem, kent, and other branded marine product... maybe can try 1 bottle...

how much is this product if we buy thru SRC? how many Litres can it treat? How long it lasts? what is the volume of this bottle that is in the picture that you are selling?

Reefez Carbon Plus 450ml $12.50

As long as you keep it airtight in the bottle, it'll last.

Says "Treats up to 200 gallons for several months." on the label. Like Seachem's.

(But remember the recommended usage).

All GAC will absorb some trace elements from the water.

But it's easily replaced with water changes and dosing of additives.

Newbies seem to panic over depletion of trace elements when they can't even get their basic parameters under control.

There are only a few trace elements that can be tested with test kits... and worth testing for.. (please get good test kits)... and don't dose what you can't test for. Too much can lead to heavy metal buildup.

• SRC Member

This is what i know .

Correct me if i am wrong..

Carbon is use to remove organic laden aquariums which arent remove by ur skimmer. Like organic acid, proteins, antibiotic compound. (That why when u add medication into ur tank to treat ur live stock, u need to remove the carbon if u have from ur tank)

ozone is also absorbed into carbon where it oxidizes a part of the carbon thus O3 (ozone) would be change to O2 (ozygen) when itis detoxified and made safe for aquarium.

Small amount of chlorine would also be remove ... (chlorination)

hope this helps..

• SRC Member

it will absorb the trace elements, vitamins, and other good things too. so better place it in the tank for maximum 1 day. then immediately dose back all those good things. better use monthly once and on the new water before dumping into the tank. play safe, if u think the carbon is about time, change it.

ask AT as he is the expert!

i wont recommend what carbon as not good. support SRC, use Reefez GAC

Err.. thanks, Ben.

However, using carbon for max 1 day is too short. You won't maximise its use.

Using the carbon for 1 week and not using it for the next 3 subsequent weeks may be better.

erm... never heard before ah die liao la then must be no gd lor expert also never hear before by the way i bought it in reborn

LOL! :lol:

Maybe I only look out for the good stuff!

• SRC Member

BTW I forgot to say why I suggest 1 day max. its cuz I place this carbon in way that the water flows to it and the tank flow rate is 10 times. so carbon is fine type and tremendously able to absorb.

if anyone buy carbon, must look out for the type able to use for marine too. as freshwater type are less effective, only half effectiveness.

• SRC Member

AT, no prob.

well, everyone knows u are the expert. who is so crazy to knock his wall down and make a room for his aquarium maintenance? LOL. In singapore, saw only u.

I saw few ppl in oversea have their maintence room in the basement but u, errr. crazy! hahahaha!

I never trusted Chemi-pure. ;)

Seachem is the best in the market for years.

Hopefully the Reefez Carbon Plus is a good contender coz I am switching to it as it is a quite close to the Seachem version and cheaper too!