Deionization Equipment

damsel-in-distress

• SRC Member
at least it's free of nitrates phosphates silicates copepr and other unintended minerals in there.

however good substances like fluoride is also taken away.

if the condenser, heating element or collection cup is made from copper or other metals, you are adding metal ions also.

Water is a universal solvent and its known to dissolve almost every element known to man. Thats why water can never be 100% pure.

• SRC Member

the insides must be coated with some inert element like titanium etc. thus the price. Pure water will not dissolve plastics metals etc. It is only a solvent for many salts. not metals or plastics.

660W x 3hours / 1000 x $0.15 = $0.297

(cost of operation for 3 hours)

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

we should get a chemist in here. I'm pretty sure only ionised water will corrode metals plastics etc. Either one of us is wrong but we're just too mule-headed to admit. haha. That is what I know. What I know might be wrong. hmm... You might be wrong too. Can any chemistry inclined ppl verify the solubility of pure metals in pure H2O? thanks.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

The probelm is .. you will never get 100% pure water. Even if you run DI/RO with the anions,cations resin, RO membrane. You will still get a tiny % of impurities. why? the resins cannot ensure that the water is 100% deionised and the RO membrane cannot trap molecules smaller than the H20 molecules.

Using a distiller is no exception, unless yr container is totally inert (which is unknown to man presently), you are still introducing impurities. Volatile compounds will evaporate and condense together with the treated water to give you impurities. Unless the condenser can tell which gas vapor to condense ... you still get impurities

• SRC Member

Platinum(which is most likely the coating for the inside) is so inert that it is the highest(?) in the reactivity series. It will have No reaction when heated in air.

No reaction with cold water or when heated in steam.

No reaction with dilute hydrochloric acid or dilute sulphuric acid

This is a proven. It might be in your secondary school textbook.

and as the distiller is meant to distill water, it will perform fractional distillation where only water is distilled. This pure water will then condense on the platinium condenser and be collected. In our tapwater, no substance has lower boiling point than water(check the pub website or something).

You can continue rebuking my claims but there is really no point. Tired. need sleep. ciao.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I'm not a chemist but I love chemistry

I'm not picking on you .. just want to clear things up.

Btw who in this world would use platinum in a distiller for normal consumer usage? I hope you knew the cost involved.

What PUB listed are the major impurities in our tapwater, there are hundreds and thousands of other impurities unlisted either they are insignificant in concentration or have low importance to living things.

• SRC Member

I'm unaware of the cost of platinum But the cost of a distillation unit isn't too cheap either. Distilling water would still give you an impure solution, but the impurities are in such small amounts that they are negligible and undetectable. distilled water in chemistry terms IS pure even though in practical situations a pure solution cannot be acheived.

but still distillation units would be much better than an DI units. in terms of water treatment. don't you agree?

ok ok I sleep already. ciao.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Thats the same thing I'm telling you right at the start. Water cannot be 100% pure!

To give you a rough guide of how much platinum cost, take a look at those "white gold" rings in jewellery shops. Look for those plain ones with no other stones or decoration, or look at the price chart on the wall, they should have a $/gm thing and these platinum are not even 100% pure, they have other metals added to strengthened it.

There is two primary difference between DI water and Distilled water. Logically one may think that you get super pure water from the evaporation process. However distilled water usually has a fair amount of dissolved gasses and also contains some of the volatile components from the feed water.

DI Water is water which has been stripped of Ions and as a result dissolved solidschemicals are removed from it. The resulting DI water is very corrosive and usually you need to store them in telfon coated containers.

You can get a TDS meter and test for yourself how much dissolved solid you have in the distilled water produced at home. The typical PUB drinking water have TDS of around 900 as I measured it few weeks ago but I think difference area will have difference TDS reading.

DI Water is water which has been stripped of Ions and as a result dissolved solidschemicals are removed from it. The resulting DI water is very corrosive and usually you need to store them in telfon coated containers.

I am curious where you got the information that deionised water is very corrosive.

• SRC Member

To those who think distilled water is extremely pure I would suggest they read up a topic in physical chemistry called Phase Equilibria.

I'm not too sure about pure water being corrosive but it does have the ability to leach things from the containers which is why RO/DI water must be stored in special 'clean' containers. Storing it in common containers defeat the purpose of have RO/DI water.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

There is two primary difference between DI water and Distilled water. Logically one may think that you get super pure water from the evaporation process. However distilled water usually has a fair amount of dissolved gasses and also contains some of the volatile components from the feed water.

You can get a TDS meter and test for yourself how much dissolved solid you have in the distilled water produced at home. The typical PUB drinking water have TDS of around 900 as I measured it few weeks ago but I think difference area will have difference TDS reading.

Is it 90 or 900? For sure, the TDS of distilled water is always 0, whereas RO water is 0 when filter is new, and could be higher later. For DI, I get about TDS of 30. My tap water measure about 120.

One thing about distilled water, it has a 'metal' taste sometimes. RO taste much better. Since distilled is so low in TDS, what actually cause the taste?

• SRC Member
To those who think distilled water is extremely pure I would suggest they read up a topic in physical chemistry called Phase Equilibria.

I'm not too sure about pure water being corrosive but it does have the ability to leach things from the containers which is why RO/DI water must be stored in special 'clean' containers. Storing it in common containers defeat the purpose of have RO/DI water.

can advise which container can be used to store DI water coz me only using those plastic container form IKEA :)

I am curious where you got the information that deionised water is very corrosive.

Probably I used the wrong words. I meant to say that if you do not use teflon coated containers to store the DI water then it will dissolve the materials used in the container, eg, you use glass container to store it. In this case it will dissolve the silica from the glass container.

You can try to drink freshly prepared lab grade DI water from the machine and see what will happen to your gums :P

• SRC Member

Guy's...when it comes to reefing...theres no one rule that we should follow this or that :D Even books we refer to differ from our own experiences. Whether you're suppose to keep RO/DI water in a special container or that Distilled water isn't as pure as it should...it all depends on your own experience. Been using distilled water for some time and doesn't seem to be a problem , stored RO/DI water in ordinary containers and it didn't really have an effect ;) We don't need to be professional chemist but the basic knowledge will do. Listen to your reeftank just like you would your pet dog... :lol: Dionize water :blink: we're not working in a lab :lol:

One thing about distilled water, it has a 'metal' taste sometimes. RO taste much better. Since distilled is so low in TDS, what actually cause the taste?

Most of the water that we drink comes from the tap. Tap water contains minerals, deposits and fluoride(added to prevent gum dieasess) therefore they actually have a slight taste that we've all got used to. That's why most people will say that "pure' water has a strange taste when actually they are tasteless.

• SRC Member

Most of the water that we drink comes from the tap. Tap water contains minerals, deposits and fluoride(added to prevent gum dieasess) therefore they actually have a slight taste that we've all got used to. That's why most people will say that "pure' water has a strange taste when actually they are tasteless.

hhmmm this makes sense but I"m thinking our taste buds act in a reactionary way (personal hypothesis) and not a conditioned memory way, so if we do detect a taste it can't be cuz its different from a "stored" memory of what's normal, but actual chemicals in the liquid reacting with our taste buds, meaning the liquid does have taste.

• SRC Member
Guy's...when it comes to reefing...theres no one rule that we should follow this or that :D Even books we refer to differ from our own experiences. Whether you're suppose to keep RO/DI water in a special container or that Distilled water isn't as pure as it should...it all depends on your own experience. Been using distilled water for some time and doesn't seem to be a problem , stored RO/DI water in ordinary containers and it didn't really have an effect ;) We don't need to be professional chemist but the basic knowledge will do. Listen to your reeftank just like you would your pet dog... :lol: Dionize water :blink: we're not working in a lab :lol:

I have been using untreated tapwater all long and nothing happens. The discussion here is not really about which is the best method but on FACTS of distilled, RO/DI. Many thought that they are 100% pure and paid alot of $ for them but actually its far from perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
[quote name=

Is it 90 or 900? For sure' date=' the TDS of distilled water is always 0, whereas RO water is 0 when filter is new, and could be higher later. For DI, I get about TDS of 30. My tap water measure about 120.

Hi Fellow Reefers,

Just wanted to share some data on water purity in my area. I just got my new TDS meter from Filter Direct Co., in the USA. Here are the readings:

tap water = 60ppm (Holland Road vicinity)

deionized water = 29ppm

distilled water = 0ppm

To interpret the results of the test, the instructions on the meter say to take the tap water reading and by divide the DI reading, substract the result from 1 and multiply by 100 to give you a rejection rate, in this case works out to be 51.7%. Therefore, the RI resin needs to be replaced if the rejection rate reaches 80% or below.

However, the above is relative. In absolute terms, can anyone enlighten me on what is the acceptable amount of total dissolved solids that is allowed in a closed aquarium setup and point me in the direction of reliable research?

:thanks: