Deionization Equipment

damsel-in-distress

• SRC Member

I am contemplating switching from using NSW (for the past year) to utilising the benefits of synthetic seawater using commerical aquatic seasalt preparations.

I am aware that the best way to go about this would be to filter our tapwater through a deionizer before addition of marine salts.

Can anyone recommend the most suitable equipment brand/model of deionizer available here (or if necessary, to import)? I am not very apt in anything DIY so would greatly appreciate any constructive basic comments/advice on how I should go about aquiring an aquarium deionizer equipment and using it?

FYI, my tank volume size is 1000L so would require about 100L water replenishment every fortnight.

Pls. enlighten this blur girl!

Thanks

• SRC Member

sorry... but I'm a sexist..... :P ......................................................

discriminate against guys, love gurls lol jkjk.

Yea I also thinking of

getting either Deionizer or Reverse Osmosis System. Where to get?? About how much?? RO vs DI systems, pros, cons?? What is the water ouput rate? Need to wait like 1 night to get abt 100L ah??

Used Tapwater Dechlorinated to fill tank. USed Untreated Tapwater to top up for abt 6 months already. No ill effects observed.

Anyone?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

hmm... I've been using that for my 3 ft aggressive, 3 ft reef and 2 ft nanoreef for like forever... dunnow but seems to be ok. RO or DI can get where? how much? can answer my qns in previous post??? thanks!!

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I wonder if its really worth its price? unless you're keeping SPS or are very particular about water quality being pristine, its unneccessary to me? its one of those nice to have but not necc? cuz for eg, if you use cheap activated carbon, or overfeed, you'll still intro phosphates and nitrates, etc. which negates the expensive DO/RO filter.

• SRC Member

Hi Damsel , another sister to the reef club...a very big welcome :D Yes an RO/DI unit would be good....been using mine for almost a year now and it's doing me alot of good. If you're looking for an easier way then I suggest distilled water which you can get by the gallons from water companies. Been using that for emergencies... :lol:

post-9-1074051010.jpg

• SRC Member

Acanthurus pyroferus,

I wanna to move to SPS after I have upgraded my lights soon so I think better water quality is the next step.

I use distilled water sold in pet bottles for my top-up tank which cost me $10 per l8L every week. I feel this is quite expensive but I am desperately trying all ways to reduce the nitrate level in my tank besides others. Can you give me a contact where I can buy distilled water in bigger quantities and get the bulk discount on the price?

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Acanthurus pyroferus,

I wanna to move to SPS after I have upgraded my lights soon so I think better water quality is the next step.

I use distilled water sold in pet bottles for my top-up tank which cost me $10 per l8L every week. I feel this is quite expensive but I am desperately trying all ways to reduce the nitrate level in my tank besides others. Can you give me a contact where I can buy distilled water in bigger quantities and get the bulk discount on the price?

:thanks:

Hi Damsel , sure no problem....I'm using Polar Water and it's at $9.00 for 5lits. if I'm correct. They loaned me a water cooler so my top-ups are cold.... :D You can talk to any sales personnel at Tel: 6 292 1078....I am glad to see another sister on this thread....let me know if there is anything that I can help with.... ;)

You may want to consider buying a distiller. I got mine at $2**. It's 660 watts and takes 6 hours to prepare 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) of distilled water. Therefore electricity cost per gallon about 65 cents. And 18 ltrs cost about $3. That's a big saving as compared to buying in bottles.

The distiller requires minimal maintenance and produces consistent high quality water. Unlike RO or DI you have to change the filter at regular interval. Furthermore quality of water deviates between new filter and when filter is due for renewal.

post-9-1074066279.jpg

You can try this guy call Allan at 94381499 or 94017369. I'm not sure if I bought from him or another person.

Saw the same thing selling at Thomson shopping centre for $4**.

You mean the holes on top? It's the condensor & fan.

• SRC Member

when you distill water, onlky the water evaporates and condenses in your condenser, so what you get will be pure water as impurities will be left behind undistilled. Distillation will give you pure water, DI can only give you an inert water without ions.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

24 hours?? Who told you we ran it for 24 hours? WE let it run for a few hours at night to produce few bottles full of distilled water and store them for tomorrow. Use only when needed. Running it for 24 hours would make lotsa distilled water!

Live and Let Live