Bubble Question

Creetin

• SRC Member

i've had this guy for over 3 yrs- i think coming 4yrs.

stings everything around it & its abt 6"(15cm) when stretched out. Now i'm stuck with it & had to put it in a corner all by itself.

Bubbles need supplemented feedings maybe once every week or fortnight,

i tried feeding every 3 days: resulted in expelling excess zooxanthelia every 5days to a week. & it grew 3 mouths :huh:

1118505.jpg

Here is one of it eating, that's a whole market prawn>

1118508.jpg

this is a nite shot- note minimal bubbles- more tentacles>size comparison:that cleaner shrimp next to it is 1yr old & 5cm body length(2")

1118506.jpg

here is a Top shot- u should be able to make out 3 distinct feeding areas>

1118507.jpg

since Nov'02 i have lowered feeding to monthly, seems its going back to normal as bubble(for light collection) area increases.

• SRC Member
They are releasing excess zooxanthelia... it could be a stress response or it could be too much light... hard to say.

Understand that several factors could cause coral to expell their zooxanthellae. Especially increase in temperature over prolong period.

Change in lighting is also another factor.

But what I'm confused is, is it too much or too little light which trigger coral bleaching ?

Can someone help me to understand ?

Thanks

• SRC Member

Many causes of bleaching. Always related to stress.

High or low temperature for prolonged periods, UV, low or sudden high light, disease, toxins, etc.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Dodo,

Thanks, I understand the temperature part.

Its the lighting factor which I don't get it.

By right, if light level is too low, it would require more zooxanthellae to absord the light right ?

So logically, zooxanthellae should only be expelled if light level is too high.

But an article in the net explains otherwise :-

Quote....

Further natural disturbances that can cause coral bleaching include high levels of ultraviolet light, sudden salinity changes, extended low light conditions, and diseases

Unquote...

It says extended low light...

:blink:

• SRC Member

When there is low light, the zooxanthellae cannot proliferate and release less food to the coral, so the coral will start 'eating' the zooxanthellae to get energy.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Some corals can move zooxanthellae into their stomach to be digested or expelled. After they are done eating it, they will pass it out of their body. Other corals can directly absorb the zooxanthellae within the polyps.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Leave it there for a while longer and see what happens.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

It seems it looks like a norm for a bubble to throw out brown strands of goo. Probably it is not zooxanthellae and probably it is a waste product.

I have been observing my bubble and it keeps doing that once a day an hour before the night light kicks in. There are no signs of bleaching.

• 2 weeks later...