Brown or diatom algae ?

• SRC Member

I have this LR that has little coralline growth. I always notice that the LR has lots of dust(brown aglae or diatom?). I have tried to take out the LR and give it a brush. But after I put back the LR, seem there’s still dust fallen from the LR after a few days ? NO CORALLINE ALGAE GROWTH !

Will this piece of LR stun other LR from coralline algae growth? Should I throw it away or leave it in the pail for curing ?

• SRC Member

do u know what curing is? . Just leave it in your tank. if yours is a newly setup tank. expect the diatoms to stay a while, as time progresses and your tank stabilizes they will go away. if they dont. then use more direct methods like phospate removal

• SRC Member

My setup has been more than half a year.

Brought that piece of LR(no bad smell should be cured) last month with little coralline. And no long ago just revamp my tank, change my sandbed to grade 0.

PH=8.3

ALK=14dKH

Cal=440ppm

But seem there is no or litle coralline algae in that particular LR !

I have this LR that has little coralline growth. I always notice that the LR has lots of dust(brown aglae or diatom?). I have tried to take out the LR and give it a brush. But after I put back the LR, seem there’s still dust fallen from the LR after a few days ? NO CORALLINE ALGAE GROWTH !

Will this piece of LR stun other LR from coralline algae growth? Should I throw it away or leave it in the pail for curing ?

I'm also confused by what you're trying to say. Please do try to word yourself a little better by not using singlish online. Thanks! ;)

If you have diatoms, you have to improve your water quality first. Use Rowaphos or other good phosphate/silicate absorbers.

You cannot expect coralline algae to grow overnight. Esp, if the rock surface is already colonised by other nuisance algae or bacteria.

And no... that LR will not affect other LRs from growing coralline algae.

Are you referring to detritus when you mention 'dust'? All LR will 'shed' detritus due to the workings of fish, snails, crabs, worms and other micro organisms.

"Dusts" will always acculmuate on LR and when u do a major rescaping, all the dust will be suspended in the water.

If ur circulation is good, there will be min. dust collecting on ur LR.

And to promote coralline algae growth, u can try increasing the calcium level and having good water circulation inside ur tank.

• SRC Member
If ur circulation is good, there will be min. dust collecting on ur LR.

And to promote coralline algae growth, u can try increasing the calcium level and having good water circulation inside ur tank.

Maybe the circulation of my HOB is not strong enough !

Ermm and also perhaps you should read up on encouraging coralline algae growth like good calcium and kH levels...

I have read quite a lots of articles on Coralline algae via websites, seaching from the forum, and FAQ(http://www.wetwebmedia.com).

And that beside maintaining ALK & calcium level, Coralline algae do not respond well to phosphates, nitrates, and elevated CO2 levels. Increased levels will prevent or stun algae growth.Magnesium can be the cause for stunned growth if all the other parameters check out fine.

I wonder if my magnesium level is low as i don't have a magnesium test kit.

Are your lights strong enough?

There's one website that i used to calculate the intensity of lighting.Something like Total Watt /Total Gallon in tank. Based on the calculation, mine is around 5.5watt/gallon Consider low. But some algaes like the maroon coralline do grow in low light.

Maybe it's not even the usual LR? Some kind of porous matter that disintegrates fast? How big is it - if it bothers u so much, y not just replace it?

If not because of the unusual structure that create lots of caves, throw it long ago.