Price of Naso Tang

• SRC Member

Saw a large Naso which I like very much, about 5 inches and withe streamers developed fully at the tip of the tail. But the LFS is asking for $30, is that a reasonable price. Smaller one at 2-3inches is selling at $16, this is known is too expensive, cause bought one this size for about 10-12$. tnks.

• SRC Member

it really depends on where you get your tang from... i recently bought mine for abt $50.... it is some 5 ~6" long... Ppl may say that I have paid too much for it.. but my recent experience is that you need to find a reputable LFS and then just stick to it.. no point paying cheaper but in the end.. fish up the lorry.... Me nase after a day is now out of hiding and pecking at the LR in the tank...

just me 2cents worth...

CF asking for $100-$150. $100 without streamers and $150 with the streamers fully developed. Around 5-6"

Feeding very well and fat. But my tank not ready so I can only see and "gain" but didn't buy.

I think LCK 110 asking for about $40.

Which LFS you saw the 1-2" one? Can PM me pls.

• SRC Member

i think '######' Naso are more expensive.

i bought my fat naso from a very reputable lfs, so i don't mind paying a bit more as it was healthy and feeding on gourmet food.

and i read somewhere that not all will develop streamers, only the male?

i am still keeping my fingers cross that my naso will develop nice long streamers .. (unless my triggers think they are yummy worms)

I hope you are providing a very large tank for an adult naso with streamers.... at least 6ft in length, preferable 8ft for it to be comfortably swimming without stress.

• SRC Member

Tnks, think I will have to KIV the idea if need 8ft tank. But then the LFS is keeping him in a 2ft tank and somemore with many smaller Naso too. Should I rescue him then, but mine is only 4ft by 2.5 by 2.5, a 175 Gallon tank.

Just curious how many reefter here got 8ft tank?

LFS will put fishes, even big ones, in tiny tanks because they have no choice and it's a temporary holding area.

We as hobbyists, should be mindful of the stress that we can induce in our fishes if we place them in not-so-ideal environments.

I'm not saying an adult Naso Tang will not survive in a 4ft tank... but it could result in the Naso Tang being frustrated and stressed that it could pose a threat to your other inhabitants (esp other tangs) by being territorial and whacking them, resulting in stress for all... and possibly an ich outbreak will push all the fishes 'up the lorry'.

That being said... you can follow some HK style (no offense intended) fishkeepers who don't think twice of putting like 5 angels, 5 tangs in a 4 ft tank. :( It's as sad as some HK fishshops who pack marine fish in a plastic bag and hang outside their shops like fighting fishes.