Live Rocks, looks like been invaded by spiders

• SRC Member

spider? sounds like the spider in the lord of rings````

i have experience that before... dun think really harmfull

i just remove the live rocks and use a tooth brush to scrap it off... but be careful dun scrap away those live stuffs or your coraline algae as well

Have you actually seen these spiders.

Because even if sea spiders happen to enter your tank as hitchhikers (a rare event).... they do not spin webs at all.

Some worms or snails do spew mucus webs to trap plankton & detritus, which they reel in and digest with the web.

I'm sorry but I really cannot understand what you are saying.

Can you write in proper english please?

Are you saying that its the spider? I'm telling you... sea spiders do not spin webs.

• SRC Member

K I believe that the 'spider' you saw did not cause the 'web-like-thingy'...

The spider was probably some kinda crab you saw and should be removed!! (doubt its a sea spider... Even if it is I think it should be removed too) You can search for crab traps in this forum or use chopsticks or something...

The web-like-thingy should be due to die-offs or mucus spewed by your LS... They aren't really harmful but if they stay on the LR too long perhaps you should increase your water circulation...

That's my 2 cents worth.... Hope I helped...

• SRC Member

OK, sorry, AT, what i saw is a small spider, move forward not side ways, but its very small in size and they dont have shell like crab do, and i dont think the web is cause by the spider.its like transparent.

ok maybe i try to increase the water circulation to see..anyway thanks guys.

• SRC Member
There is at least one genus of ubiquitous bacteria that has been isolated from corals (Euphyllia species, Catalaphyllia jardinei, and zoanthids) that also causes, or is part of the consortium that causes diseases in wild corals. It is a species of Beggiatoa, and it is often visible as white filaments or webs, occasionally becoming like mats or paste as the colony increases in density. Beggiatoa are gliding filamentous bacteria that tend to form cottony colonies or mats at interfaces between aerobic and anaerobic zones in terrestrial, freshwater, and marine environments. They oxidize hydrogen sulfide produced in the anoxic zones, but can also grow heterotrophically using acetate as a carbon source and some can autotrophically use carbon dioxide. These microbes are found on sediment and substrate surfaces, including corals. They provide a valuable function in nutrient processing, and cannot be "eliminated." Being opportunistic coral pathogens to some species is unfortunate, but I am afraid it must be viewed in terms of the root factors that may have been involved in a coral becoming colonized and infected by Beggiatoa in the first place.

By Eric Borneman

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Based on the above information from Eric Borneman, it is likely you have dieoffs in an area with little flow and hence hydrogen sulfide is being produced and the pathogic bacteria was given a chance to grow and multiply there.

Have you tried taking it out of the water to take a sniff as I suggested? :)

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

ok guys, yesterday when i came back home, found out that most of the web has gone but there's still some more which is quite thick, so i try to do water circulation around that area, so later when back home will only know what is the result. tks anyway.

Hmm,

I actually i am in the same shoes as you are . After cycling for 3 days there were also some spider like stuff on the LR . But i also found 2 pcs hairy green/grey crabs around 1cm across their body . I just left them alone . Are they harmless ? Or is it possible that certain types of crab do spin white stuff for keeping their food for future use ?