Blood red Hawaii Flame angel

• Senior Reefer

Any update ?? Any sold Colour for the Flame Angel spotted ? May be from Chirstmas island their colour will be more sold ??

only the true hawaii flame angels are blood red. flame angels are very rare in hawaii islands. the flame we get from hawaii shipments are not from hawaii, but from nearby island like marshall islands etc.

only the true hawaii flame angels are blood red. flame angels are very rare in hawaii islands. the flame we get from hawaii shipments are not from hawaii, but from nearby island like marshall islands etc.

Did LFS bring in pure Hawaii FA before :rolleyes: ?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• Senior Reefer

Did LFS bring in pure Hawaii FA before :rolleyes: ?

personally never see before. our hawaii shipments from lfs are not from the hawaii islands only, but also from a mixture of surrounding islands including marshall islands etc. rhomboid wrasses are only found in marshall islands and no where else in the world. yet they come in as "hawaii shipment" from our LFS. this proves that our "hawaii shipments" are not from hawaii islands only, but a mixture of other islands too. so our flame angels, come from surrounding islands too

i've never seen the TRUE blood red hawaii flame angels before in singapore. I don't know if they come in before as flame angels are rare in the actual hawaiin islands but common in the surrounding islands.

don't want to off topic too much. but here's a picture of a true hawaiin flame angel. blood red in colour. compare it with the normal flame with more orangey-yellow body colour.

post-15755-12764987521019_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12764987964599_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

personally never see before. our hawaii shipments from lfs are not from the hawaii islands only, but also from a mixture of surrounding islands including marshall islands etc. rhomboid wrasses are only found in marshall islands and no where else in the world. yet they come in as "hawaii shipment" from our LFS. this proves that our "hawaii shipments" are not from hawaii islands only, but a mixture of other islands too. so our flame angels, come from surrounding islands too

i've never seen the TRUE blood red hawaii flame angels before in singapore. I don't know if they come in before as flame angels are rare in the actual hawaiin islands but common in the surrounding islands.

don't want to off topic too much. but here's a picture of a true hawaiin flame angel. blood red in colour. compare it with the normal flame with more orangey-yellow body colour.

Whether we can check with any Friends of LFS or Farm to ask them to bring in this True Blood Red Hawaii Flame Angels ? Happen to saw this Flame Angel in Hong Kong & said from Christmas Island ?? True ?

• Senior Reefer

Whether we can check with any Friends of LFS or Farm to ask them to bring in this True Blood Red Hawaii Flame Angels ? Happen to saw this Flame Angel in Hong Kong & said from Christmas Island ?? True ?

christmas island flame angels do not exhibit the blood red colouration. like i said, only from hawaiin islands.

there are three types of flame angels. the normal ones from marshall, vanuatu, etc, which are orangey red.

the 2nd one is the super blood red ones from hawaii only

and the last 1 is the flame angel with no black stripes at all. just a plain red body. this is a very rare colour morph from marquesas.

If you want it, maybe you can try asking LFS to bring in for you. it should be available since they are from hawaii and they might be able to get it for you. but it's rare in hawaii. so they will naturally commmand a much higher price.

• Senior Reefer

this is the normal flame angel that we always get from "hawaii" shipments. they come from marshall islands and/or nearby islands around hawaii.

notice the orangey center or in extreme cases, the whole fish is orange instead of red.

post-15755-12766593698575_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12766593958059_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

and of course, along the way we find many unusual variants from any of the 3 locations. such as flames with missing bars, with no bars, with yellow bars, etc.

there's a long PDF file written by richard pyle on "Genetic connectivity among color morphs and Pacific archipelagos for the Flame angelfish, Centropyge loriculus"

but of course, it's very long, boring, chim and filled with scientific jargon that i think no one here will appreciate so i did not post the link.

i read it and personally found it very interesting.

• Senior Reefer

The Glassbox-design blog did a good writeup on these Flame angelfish.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/red-hawaiian-flame-angel/

It seems the blood red variant is indeed only available in Hawaii.

Cheers

JC

yep. you can find richard pyle's PDF file in that link too.

thanks for posting it up.

and the map.

post-15755-12766621699373_thumb.jpg