My tank in planning stages

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Hi guys, after almost stopping for 1 year, I've been thinking of starting up again.

The process is now in its planning stage, and I've decided to go for a customised ISO tank, rather than using a sump.

But firstly, I would like to ask for your opinions on what you think about the tank.

I've made a rough drawing of the tank, but not exactly drawn to scale though. The tank will be a 2x1.5x1ft tank, the height is not confirmed yet because I like the idea of a shallow reef concept. However, I will have a few questions to ask, because I don't know if this plan will work or not. Since this is an ISO tank, I do not have to care about durso pipes or reverse flow from the return pump since the water flow will stay fixed in the tank itself.

1. If I attach my return pump to blow water out from the red hole, will the water level in the 3rd chamber drop, or reach an equilibrium with the rest of the tank?

2. Whats the difference with the use of the hole, or fixing a U-shaped pipe from the return pump in the 3rd chamber to the main tank?

Sorry if I sound confusing, I hope you guys know what I'm talking about. Please give your advise.

:thanks:

post-13947-1207154064.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Here is a list of equipment I've planned for my tank.

Lighting - 2x24W T5 HO lights

Chiller - Resun CL 280

Skimmer - Tunze 9002.000 DOC

Wavemaker - Seio M820

Return Pump - TOM800 3200L/H

After a brief calculation, my tank would be about 85litres/ 23G.

I was wondering if the chiller will be sufficient as it says on the website that the CL280 recommended volume is <300L, considering heat from lights and pumps etc.

Do you guys think its better to get a CL 280 or CL 450? Considering the difference in wattage, which would save more in terms of consumption in the long run?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

The water in the third chamber will drop to reach an equilibrium with the flow coming through the 1st chamber. If you use a hole at the bottom, u will have no water level in the 3rd chamber, ur return pump cannot function. U need to return water at a higher level than that, then you'll be able to maintain the water level sufficient for the pump to work.

• SRC Member
The water in the third chamber will drop to reach an equilibrium with the flow coming through the 1st chamber. If you use a hole at the bottom, u will have no water level in the 3rd chamber, ur return pump cannot function. U need to return water at a higher level than that, then you'll be able to maintain the water level sufficient for the pump to work.

Hi MbMC, thanks for the feedback. After much thinking about what you said, I don't think the hole at the bottom will work in this case. Looks like I have to use the traditional method of using pipes from the 3rd chamber to the main tank. :thanks:

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member
Hi MbMC, thanks for the feedback. After much thinking about what you said, I don't think the hole at the bottom will work in this case. Looks like I have to use the traditional method of using pipes from the 3rd chamber to the main tank. :thanks:

Bro, no more update from you? How's your tank?

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
Bro, no more update from you? How's your tank?

I currently still overseas. Will be back next month when my term expires. I've been planning my tank for a few months now, and I really can't wait to be back to set it up. Thanks for your support. :whistle

• SRC Member

Hi Firestarter,

On the other hand, you can have the hole drilled higher up on the 3rd chamber. My off-the-shelf IOS tank has it this way. I mount my return pump on the hole to :

(1) Minimize heat release into the water

(2) Minimize pipes (just have a short flexible hose connecting from pump to bottom of 3rd chamber)

Have been running it this way for a year.

Cheers

• SRC Member
Hi Firestarter,

On the other hand, you can have the hole drilled higher up on the 3rd chamber. My off-the-shelf IOS tank has it this way. I mount my return pump on the hole to :

(1) Minimize heat release into the water

(2) Minimize pipes (just have a short flexible hose connecting from pump to bottom of 3rd chamber)

Have been running it this way for a year.

Cheers

Hi turnicate, I don't really understand what you mean from point no. 1

How can I minimize heat release if the return pump still remains in the water, regardless if the hole is higher up on the 3rd chamber?

I initially wanted to go BB, hence I thought placing the return flow at the bottom would help to blow any detritus upwards and to prevent any dead spots.

• SRC Member

I've made some changes to the design, placing the return hole at the top instead of the bottom.

This is just phase 1 of the tank, I'm also planning of adding an external refugium. That'll be in phase 2.

post-13947-1219389213.jpg

• SRC Member

Phase 2 of my tank setup would be to place an external refugium beside the ISO chamber of the tank.

From the front view perspective, the refugium would be on the left, center is the ISO, and to the right would be the main tank.

I hope you all can understand from my poor drawings and illustrations. :paiseh:

post-13947-1219391436.jpg

• SRC Member
So you'll be viewing the tank, the IOS and the refugium all at the same time? Why view the IOS?

I plan to place the tank on a table at the corner of my room. To facilitate easy maintenance, the I prefer the IOS to be at the side rather than at the back of the tank.

This would make it easier to connect the refugium too.

I got my inspiration and ideas from this tank http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196478

I will post how I plan to connect my refugium to the ISO chamber if anyone is interested.

Just realised that it should be IOS instead of ISO. Pardon my ignorance. :paiseh:

• SRC Member
Full tank setup

Phase 1 and Phase 2.

I hope I'm not boring you with all this. :snore:

Interesting set up... Waiting for u to return to set up the real stuff :)

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member

I would like to share how to connect an external tank to the main tank without using any overflow box or pipes. Its a very simple and effective method, and I've personally used it before to connect my refugium to my sump in an old setup.

Firstly, you have to understand the principles of a normal overflow box. I've drawn a diagram to illustrate for ease of understanding. Hope this helps. :lol:

Using PVC pipes and a small pump, it works exactly like an overflow box, only that the 2 tanks are the internal and external boxes. Note that the PVC end at the refugium side is shorter than the end of the IOS side. This is to allow the water to flow continuously back into the IOS.

1. Pump brings water into the refugium

2. As the refugium level increases, water flows back into the IOS through the PVC pipe

3. NOTE THAT THE PVC PIPE MUST REMAIN FULLY SIPHONED AT ALL TIMES

post-13947-1219425542.jpg

• SRC Member

In the event of a blackout, the pump will stop pumping water into the refugium. Therefore, the water level will drop as water still flows into the IOS chamber, until both tanks have the same water level.

At this point of time the PVC siphon is still intact and it will not break.

post-13947-1219426610.jpg

• SRC Member

Once electricity is restored, the pump will start to pump water back into the refugium, and the refugium water level will increase, which will start to flow back into the IOS chamber due to gravity. It will return back to the first diagram again.

The trick is to play around with the water level, and to make sure that the siphon in the PVC pipe does not break when there is a blackout. Other factors that affect the flow is how weak/strong the pump is, original height of both tank's water level, and size of the PVC pipe.

I hope you understand the whole process as I'm not very good in explaining without a real pictures. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

• SRC Member
Hi turnicate, I don't really understand what you mean from point no. 1

How can I minimize heat release if the return pump still remains in the water, regardless if the hole is higher up on the 3rd chamber?

I initially wanted to go BB, hence I thought placing the return flow at the bottom would help to blow any detritus upwards and to prevent any dead spots.

Sorry for the late reply.

Attached is rough sketch of how I get the return pump out of the water.

I've BB too. Most reefers opt to have a wavemaker in the main tank to keep detritus off the bottom. I've been thinking how my next tank would also have an underflow to further encourage the extraction of detritus. Do you think it's a good idea?

P.S. The return outlet being located mostly on the upper portion of aquariums also helps in O2 exchange due to higher flow of water on the surface. ;)

2788167229_c486322513_o.jpg

• SRC Member
Sorry for the late reply.

Attached is rough sketch of how I get the return pump out of the water.

I've BB too. Most reefers opt to have a wavemaker in the main tank to keep detritus off the bottom. I've been thinking how my next tank would also have an underflow to further encourage the extraction of detritus. Do you think it's a good idea?

P.S. The return outlet being located mostly on the upper portion of aquariums also helps in O2 exchange due to higher flow of water on the surface. ;)

Hi tunicate, I now understand what you're trying to say after looking at your diagram. You are running the return pump externally but still inside the ISO. The problem now is how did you attach the return pump above the water?

• SRC Member
Good point. The water level in the 2 tanks should equalise. I always thought that the siphon would drain the 2nd tank completely. Can you ensure that the siphon never breaks? Coz that would be a disaster...

The siphon will never break as long as the water level in the sump is kept constant. Therefore topping up of water is crucial. :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Extremely crucial...:D

I almost flooded my main tank the other day coz I managed to break siphon in my overflow box while doing some routine maintenance. Ugly... :eyeblur:

Yeah, I'm was always afraid that Mr Murhpy will pay me a visit last time.