Any Artica Titanium Chiller user?

panlee

LOL... that's not sold in Singapore. To import in such a heavy equipment... errmm... not viable.

I recommend Titanium/Reef Relief Chillers... many of us have good reviews on them... cheaper than Teco, well-built, good customer service... and best of all... the boss's a reefer like us! :)

• SRC Member

Artica Tatinium Chiller (http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller.html) is available in Singapore. I have called their distributor (64813366). I saw their ad in one of Singapore chinese fish magazine at 7eleven, can't remember mag name. LFS (freshwater ones) at Jalan Bukit Merah and Jalan Besar Stadium already stock them. It has 2 year warranty.

• SRC Member

That is why I am abit confuse about HP rating. Artica website has a calculator on HP of chiller need, their brochure even has a formula for you to calculate based on tank size, lamp wattage, pump wattage etc.

For my tank+sump about 90G, the website recommend 1/5HP. I called the distributor and they say 1/10HP can do the job. But I have emailed Hailea and Dr Chill and both also recommend 1/2HP.

Artica range:

1/10 (for up to 130G) - $1100

1/5 (180G) - $1400

1/4 (260G) - $1700

1/3 (340G) - never asked

reefcentral.com has user buy 1/3HP for > 200G tank.

Note: I am not associate to Artica, its distributor and any of its reseller. I am just presenting my consumer 'research' data. :)

• SRC Member
Just note that the rating were based on tests done in a temperate country and most likely just a tank of water without heat load.

I think US also have hot summer ;) Anyway the online calculator take in lamp/power head heat load. Below is the formula on the product brochure, so very cheam one :blink: That's why it would be useful if there is any user in Singapore can give comments...so far no one leh... :(

[(((Total Water Volume in gallons x 8.3 LBS/gallon) x 18F)/24 hrs) +

(Total Heat given by equipment (watts) x 3.413)] x 1.2

= ?? Btu/hr/12,000 Bty/hr

= ?? HP of chiller

1 HP = 12,000 Btu/hr

• SRC Member

In Singapore, 1/10 HP is good for a gold fish bowl. 1/3 HP can be used for 340gal if you have no pumps or lights and don't mind it running 24 hours.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I think there is no difference when the chiller is used in US or Singapore. In US, they use the chiller to bring temperature down to let say 26C. Which means it is use when temperature > 26C such as summer season. When the temperature < 26C most would depend on heater to do the job. (This is a water temperature chilling only product and does not have built in heater. For example Hailea website listed model that has both chiller and heater built in.)

I mean the usage scenerio is the same in US or Singapore -> bring temperature down and in US summer temperature is as high or higher than here. Which means the range of temperature to go down to 26C is about there.

Now for the same size tank, this chiller and one of korean made one I heard from other thread recommend lower HP. So I am not sure whether we can say that these are more efficient chiller and can not compare to those such as Resun, Hailea, Reef Relief etc. So again, any users out there? :P

Dun know why panlee look at low hp so much. Want to find wat the actual power and electricity used? I surf net to find answer at website : www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

It said electrical power (watts) = Volts X Current (amps)

So 1/5 hp, P = 115 X 5.0 = 575watts (for 681L tank)

And 1/4hp, P = 115 X 6.0 = 690watts (for 984L tank)

But 575watts = 575/746 = 0.77hp (3/4hp)

And 690watts = 690/746 = 0.92hp (9/10hp)

Aiyah, so confusing to all equations. Still dun understand the equations, why hp and electrical power not same, why low hp but high electrical power, why............

Just my 2 sen

• SRC Member

i also heard tat mathematically, it is possible to use a 1/4 horsepower chiller on a 5 feet tank.. and i actually see it at work.. a 1/2 horsepower chiller on work for 4, 4x2x1 tanks.. and it keeps the temp at like 25-26degree... it does not wor really hard.. does not keep oning.. the tanks all using weipro MH

• SRC Member
Dun know why panlee look at low hp so much. Want to find wat the actual power and electricity used? I surf net to find answer at website : www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

It said electrical power (watts) = Volts X Current (amps)

So 1/5 hp, P = 115 X 5.0 = 575watts (for 681L tank)

And 1/4hp, P = 115 X 6.0 = 690watts (for 984L tank)

But 575watts = 575/746 = 0.77hp (3/4hp)

And 690watts = 690/746 = 0.92hp (9/10hp)

Aiyah, so confusing to all equations. Still dun understand the equations, why hp and electrical power not same, why low hp but high electrical power, why............

Just my 2 sen

i thot s'pore using 230V? :heh:

anyway diff devices hav diff definition of 1HP = ?W :)

as far as i noe, 1 hp in s'pore is ard 1000W.... correct me if i'm wrong :)

• SRC Member

dun forget that Artica titanium chiller is adopting a heat exchanging technology which is not so advisable here unless u r running the chiller in an aircon room.the reason is being is that yes i know its cooling fins are cooled by the refrigerant but there are louvres for air to rush in to further cool the fins which is not so good coz imagine if u put it in our room temp-32C,the chiller needs to cool the fins and the hot air that is coming in resulting in the chiller to overwork.but i noe some may agree wif me some will not but i suggest u 2 read and find more about other chiller available on the market.coz remember this is the one of the major investment equipment that u gonna hav...

if ur chiller is down,can ur fishes & corals wait?hmmm...this u must think..

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Yes the Fish Cooler brand is by Dail Ice Korea. It is OEM for Artica according to salesperson. The look and build is the same except for logo off course. The manual looks over 90% the same as the one from Artica website, down to details such as example setup tank pictures etc. The model number such as DBA-200 is same between Artica and Fish Cooler. Even the pictures of brochure for both of them the same :heh: . I bought the 1/4 HP unit which is about $400 cheaper than Artica one. :) It is running now for my tank, temperature difference so far is +- 1 degree C. It is quiet and looks nice. So far happy.

• SRC Member

I bought the 250W one.... :D

Just turn it on at 2111, water temp is 29, room temp is 30-31 degree.

I set the chiller at 26degree, with 1 MH150W and 2x36W PL running on the tank.

In the room there are another 2x MH running on another tank not linked to this chiller...so my room is a sauna room now!

It just hit 25.5 and stop the compressor. It took 1hr and 4 minutes.

my tank volumn is 220l. (2x3ft tank link up).

How is this performance? pls comment.

<_<

• SRC Member
Hi Nutx,

What hp is it rated as?

How about taking note when will it start up again?

How's the noise?

Please advice.

Cheers.

Dunno abt the Hp, probably 1/2hp.

it just restart at 11.35. I set the chiller at 26, and it activite at +1.

• SRC Member
my chiller is set to 24 activate at 27 runs an hour or 2 each day under a 400 watt Bulb

Are you using Artica/Fish Cooler chiller? My Fish Cooler is set to 26. I only set this desired temperature, no other setting. You can see from meter the reading goes down 27.1, 27.0, 26.9.......until it reaches about 25.6 and then it stops. When the temperature go up to about 26.6 the cooler starts again. It auto start/stop +- 1 degree of the set temperature.

• SRC Member

My is running for 2 days leow, setting at 25.5. so the chiller start at 26 and stop at 25.

so far, when lights is on, it will run abt 7-6mins every hour. when lights off, abt 3-4 mins every hours.

Room is poor ventilation, window not open.

The heat from the chiller is quite significant, as the moment you walk into the room, you can feel it. Room temperature is abt 30degree.

Noise wise, quite loud, but was told to expect that, till the chiller settled down.

With chiller, evaporation is extremely low! no more sticky floor or wall. :P

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
I think there is no difference when the chiller is used in US or Singapore. In US, they use the chiller to bring temperature down to let say 26C. Which means it is use when temperature > 26C such as summer season. When the temperature < 26C most would depend on heater to do the job. (This is a water temperature chilling only product and does not have built in heater. For example Hailea website listed model that has both chiller and heater built in.)

I beg to differ. If you have been to a temporate country during hot summer you would know what I am trying to say. The air over at these country is very dry. Very low humidity. even when the temp is 35deg, it wont feel as hot as singapore when its 33deg. This is due to the low humidity. water evaporates a lot faster. Thus evaporative cooling work a lot better in these country. So the temp of their tank is already lower then ours. so their chiller do not have to work so hard. Try taking a cold shower during summer and you'll know what I mean.