Resun Chiller - CL650

Melvyn Tan

• SRC Member

Hi there,

For the benefit of reefers intending to go a bit further in their reef system in maintaining a more controlled temperature for their tank, i am reviewing this brand and model of chiller based on both personal and friends opinion and experience with it - so far for the past 6 months.

It can be quite a task in making the right decision for a piece of equipment - especially one that comprises of some mechanical & electronic parts, wherein reliability is the foremost importance when dealing with precious livestocks in the tank. Thus, i weighed myself the importance of a chiller based on the following;

1) Ability & capacity to chill the volume of water to the desired temperature

2) Efficiency & reliability in the chilling of the water

3) Running cost of the chilling

4) Aesthetics and contribution to environmental noise

5) Build and cost

6) Support for repairs/maintenance

7) Cost for replacement - Life cycle costing

1) Chilling Ability and Capacity

I was at first sceptical of a China-made product especially more so when it is to control the environmental temperature of a tank wherein some livestocks will be dependant on it for its survival and well-being. However, i have seen for myself friend's tanks where the livestock dependence of the temperature supplied by the Resun CL650 to be quite consistant and reliable (consistantly for 6 months). The 1/4 HP is able to cool efficiently a 4x2x2 tank with a sump without much of a problem. The only downside is the inaccurate temperature indication - which must be compensated by measurement via an external temperature measuring device. For my case, the Resun unit indicate 30 degrees celcius where my tank is 27 degrees celcius.

2) Chilling Efficiency and Reliability

Although it is china-made, i have understood from my professional arena that products required in my area of specialty - china-made to be very good. In this instance, it has proven its point again. The chilling kicks in every 1 1/2 - 2 hours dependant on the heat contributing devices to the tank and takes about on average 45 mins to 1 hr to chill down the temperature of +- 2 degrees. The chiller kicks-in and works when the temperature rises to 2 degrees as stipulated in the manual. Many have indicated that the chilling would also be dependant on the pump used - both Eheim 1250 and Sicce Extrema appears to worked very well. Refrigerant used is R-134A.

3) Chilling Running Costs

There are lots of calculators around aiding reefers in the calculation of the running costs of chillers and thus, i will not go into details on this one. The power rating is 650 watts consuming 2 - 2.5 amperes, real life cost indicates marginal increase of electricity bills by about average S$10 / month.

4) Aesthetics & Noise

If noise is a concern, this one IMO runs fairly softly (as experienced in both a new unit and one that is 6 mths old) when chilling kicks in. It should not disturb normal home activities if placed in the living room or in areas where windows are opened - you should not be able to hear it. Unless you are an Audiophile and place this one in the Audio room - you will hear it. Aesthetics wise, in comparison to available brands locally - it will not lose out, although it does have somewhat a China-look (well some China looking things are desirable - whatever that means hehhehe!!!).

5) Build & Cost

It is stated as ABS casing, it looks plastic (ABS what !) somewhat well build and cost-wise, it will put many wondering why you should pay more for chilling purposes. Chiller technlogy is old technology, so that should indicate to you something. It has both QC tags with the chilling unit and each has its own serial number. It is stated that it collaborate with Japs, ie. Mitsubishi/National in the compressor units so i don't doubt it since the heat exchanger upon peeking the insides reveal a dull silvery/grey metal (undoubtedly titanium) as indicated in the manual.

6) Maintenance Support

Was told by the LFS that this one should not be a problem as a standby unit will be available when repairs/maintenance to faulty units are carried out. So far has not experienced anything yet (new and 6mths old unit), perhaps anyone out there who has the experience would care to share. Maintenance support also depends on source - whether local agent or parallel imports.

7) Replacement Cost / Life Cycle Costing

This is probably one of the cheapest chillers around, and should it break down after the warranty period of 1 year, it might perhaps be better to get a new set - if you opt not to repair it. This will effectively let you have 3 Resun chillers for 3 working years !

Hope this will help as it had helped me in deciding which chiller to get.

Cheers ! :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

The test trial is for a period of 6 months (both a recent set and an older 6 mth set - believe they are a new batch of Resuns) have some friends using other renown brands and basically it does not fair too badly.

I reckon it is almost similar to comparing a Casio watch and a Rolex (since many likes it) both tells the time....and the chillers - they chill the water :D The Rolex might perhaps last much longer based on a unit to unit comparison, but having said that long term cost wise, the casio might be more bearable.

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Well, I agree that Resun chillers sure are cheap and you can probably throw and buy a new one everytime it spoils... the same way I throw away a few casios (just snorkelling) but have been using my Tag Heuer for almost 7 years already including on deep dives.

I think the china-made chillers have poor resale value because of their QC/reliability and the lack of good temperature controls.

Resuns are good for a budget reefer starting out on a small tank.

Anyway... chillers are an expensive essential equipment for reef tanks... reefers should do a search in SRC on general user feedbacks and not just from one or two users before deciding on a purchase.

There are other brands that start out having good reviews by reefers and then gradually the true nature shows itself and problems are only highlighted a lot later into the game or not at all due to embarrassment.

Hint: aircon-looking. ;) and 'physician, heal thyself' chillers :pinch:

Good review BTW, although it does bear some hint of overselling. ;)

• SRC Member

Agree with AT - would appreciate also other reefers who have experienced both the old and new batch of Resuns to share their experience(s).

Its all in the name of reefing and to make it more affordable to all sensibly :D

Btw - i would not advise using a casio for deep sea diving, not even a Tag Heuer.

I use both a Maurice Lacroix and Baume et Mercier to tell time - cos i am vain :lol:

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
For my case, the Resun unit indicate 30 degrees celcius where my tank is 27 degrees celcius<-- u can calibrate the chiller thermometer to read the same as yr external thermometer.......<_<

Never knew that - please enlightened how you do it.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

4) Aesthetics & Noise

If noise is a concern, this one IMO runs fairly softly (as experienced in both a new unit and one that is 6 mths old) when chilling kicks in. It should not disturb normal home activities if placed in the living room or in areas where windows are opened - you should not be able to hear it. Unless you are an Audiophile and place this one in the Audio room - you will hear it. Aesthetics wise, in comparison to available brands locally - it will not lose out, although it does have somewhat a China-look (well some China looking things are desirable - whatever that means hehhehe!!!).

Just to add. This unit is not entirely noiseless. The sound of it kicking in did give me a shock on many a nights, esp. after watching a horror show. That aside, for the price, the mumur heard when running is totally acceptable.

• SRC Member

Just to add. This unit is not entirely noiseless. The sound of it kicking in did give me a shock on many a nights, esp. after watching a horror show. That aside, for the price, the mumur heard when running is totally acceptable.

Good thing i dun like horror shows :D did you put it in your bedroom?

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Just press the "Set" for 10 seconds then you will enter the calibrate mood. Use +/- to calibrate the temp that you want.

Gee ! thanks - went to check the manual and indeed it can be adjusted ! blind me !

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
For my case, the Resun unit indicate 30 degrees celcius where my tank is 27 degrees celcius<-- u can calibrate the chiller thermometer to read the same as yr external thermometer.......<_<

Most chillers have this "CA" setting.

As you said it:

calibrate the chiller thermometer to read the same as yr external thermometer

All thermometer needs a little calibration something like PH test pens

Only down side for resun temp prob is tt it only read whole no., there is no decimal setting :erm:

• SRC Member

Not sure about Atman....

Anyone who wish to feedback/share on your experience with resun please do so, cheers.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

I've an experience from a friend who is using CL-650...

The chiller has been used for 2.5 years and one day blower (Fan) started to make noice, another problem that he experienced was the temp display set to 25 degree but it will show 25 and 27 blinking off and on. This problem caused the compressor to start off and on so my friend took it to Resun and they've replaced the Fan and Thermo control unit for 650 Baht (about S$26). I can see that it's still running....

Not a bad investment consider that it ran for almost 3 years so I'm getting one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Happen to have a digital clamp meter

Just want to add that the starting amp of the unit is 3.8A and and operating amp is 2.1A.... 240x2.1=504W..... thats how much it consumes... i didn't measure the idling consumption...

if it runs 8hrs daily for 30days.... then power bill for one month = 504/1000x0.16x8x30 = $24

mine is a 3ft... abt 300L. with 150W MH.. definitely runs less than one third of the day...

Ha, ha, that's a

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

my CL 650 kick in too often any way to solve it ???

is it the flow too fast or too slow

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

Ha, ha, that's a good one. In fact, it's the kick off sound, sometime quite loud, sometime very soft. I did jump up a few times when I playing the Xbox. Especially with all the lights off, and u r waiting for the some monsters to appear.

IMHO, what was described above were very very close and ###### true. Pay peanut get monkeys. So, it really depends what individual want. A new Tag Heuer doesn't mean zero defects, but a Casio may last for a long long time too. :P

Nevetheless, I'm always the salted-vege life type :( which normally even a Rolex will spoil on me. Hence, if not due to safety, any brand that's cheap n good will do for me.

:P Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member
my CL 650 kick in too often any way to solve it ???

is it the flow too fast or too slow

this is a review.... this seems a bit off topic :off:

anyways wats ur flow rate? did u connect anything else in between input n output that will affect ur flow rate?

The chiller has been used for 2.5 years and one day blower (Fan) started to make noice

i had this prob after using 6 mths.... <_<

a rattling sound from nowhere...

however, i din replace the fan, i cheated by stuffing filter wools onto a metallic strip inside the chiller :P