Cost breakdown:

2nd hand casing: $10

Reflectors: Normal plastic reflectors that came with the 2nd hand casing

Stainless steel clips + screws: $2

Aquaz tubes (Blue Pro + Actinic Blue): $40

Non water proof T5 connectors, 2 pairs: $6

Elbiru 2 x 24w e-Ballast: $16

Wires and 3 pin plug: $3

Total cost: $77 , what a nice number. Hehe.

I found out that with only 2 tubes, it is much more brighter than my 1 month old 4 x 24w PLs... Nice...

Attached is my light set. Took the pics when fired up but it's not nice. So didn't bother to post it.

post-9-1096904472.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks. :)

I've been using Elbiru e-ballast for 1 year plus. I would say it's quite good. Though people keep saying that e-ballast with pre-heating ability is better for T5 tubes, I don't think anyone has tested it out?

So let us test it, since the tubes and ballast are already so cheap. No harm trying. If it can last for at least 8 - 9 months, why not? Thought we are supposed to replace the tubes around that time span also?

Cheers! :D

• SRC Member

Wah kaoz! Saying my lights is bad!?! Hehe. Just joking.

Reason for using the normal reflectors is because it came with the casing mah. Just re-use it lor. Cause I heard that one Aquaz reflector not cheap leh. $20++ right? If like that the cost will at least $120 liao.

Anyway, I'll be selling this set at the price that I've stated: $77.

Reason for selling. Going to get a 3ft tank. Hehe. So doing some fund raising. Usage is 10 days. So I guess it's quite reasonable for me to offer that price after deducting my DIY pay. :D

*Not sure if it is inappropriate to just post my intention of selling here. Moderators pls feel free to edit this post if it's not appropriate. Thanks!