Canister Filter in a Marine Aquarium

• SRC Member

Hi all, are there anybody using canister filter in their marine aquarium? The reason is that I got a 2ft without overflow but running canister 1200l/h. If you have, kindly share the filter media configuration/composition then maybe I could learn. Thanks

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

I'm using two cannisters for my 3' tank. I cleaned one every other month. IME they are ok, but they'll require reqularly cleaning. Try to use a surface skimmer as the input to your cannister, this will help clear floating stuff on the surface of the water.

I take to about 1/2 hour to clean one... while the other, an old Ehiem one is a more difficult as the pipes are not quick release. SW is prepared beforehand.

One of the major advantage is that, you can carry off the entire cannister into the bath or garden to have it clean instead of your doing it near your fishtank.

Also have a neat configuration when it comes to using it for chemical filtration. Usually the biggest media get to be at the first level, followed by finer ones just before the water goes back to the tank. My first level is ceramic rings, followed by carbon in the middle level, my last two level consists of just filter wool. The ehiem model consists of coral chips and wool.

As in all fittings, make sure that the pipe joints are secure as your intake is from the middle of the tank, one lose joint somewhere will result in a very wet floor and maybe worse even the loss of LS.

happy reefing. : )

mm

• SRC Member

if you need to keep nirate down to zero, then i don't think its wise to use canister as the bio-filter....i use mine as a chemical and mechanial filter...the wool are cleans once a week as i really want to keep my nirtate at a undetectable level....

• SRC Member

bros, thanks for the suggestions and concerns. while i'm still looking for that 3ft tank that fits my budget i have no choice but to make do with what i have at the moment which is a 2ft tank with canister filter. :paiseh:

any other bros using canister? PM me if paiseh to admit :lol:

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

I do run canister with sump for my 3' tank. Bit kiasu. I have nothing in the canister other than wool, clean once in two months. B4 that I was only running with canister so far quirt alright

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

i use 2 canisters

1 eheim 2217 and 1 2026

eheim 2217 has nothing but #10 coral chips as first layer...this takes up about 2/3 of the space. used to break up shit and breed bacteria.

next is wool. followed by poly filter together with carbon. i make it a pt to put chem filters after wool so that theyt don't get dirty and their surf doesn't get coated with dirt. be sure to put the coral chips or any other bacteria breeders in a permeable bag.

reason being bacteria forms a sticky web around the coral chips.

if u don't put in a bag and pour out the chips when u clean, u destroy the web and they die.

2026 i put #10 sand, #10 coral chips and wool.

no chem filter.i keep both running to breed bact...works fine.

use 2 cause when one is washed and most bact dies, the other still has bact to support.

yupz...that's my 2 cents worth

• SRC Member

No problem using a canister filter and it is strongly recommended to have a surface skimmer installed as your inflow to the canister and not forgetting your skimmer.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

I was using Ehein 2233 for my 30x18x18. Used Sera Siporax, Some nitrat remover stone chips (can't remember what brand) sponge filter and carbon. Not much problem maintaining the tank but had trouble on phosphates.

as nim75sg mentioned, use a surface skimmer.

• SRC Member

Mime is with UGF though bit outdated as some of the reefer would say here, so far so good.

However, I have Jebo 180 HOB Skimmer.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump