My DIY Overflow

Domino

• SRC Member

Hello everyone!! ;)

I've been working for a while on my new sump and overflow project. It's all working now :D . I just wanted to share the way I made my DIY overflow system (I inpired myself alot from other projects I've seen on this SRC :rolleyes: )

Here's the final product: :P

post-9-1087054782.jpg

• SRC Member

You must then determine how many holes you want to make and the spacing between them. indicate the center of the holes. You should get two rows of holes...

Don't drill straight away with a large bit because it will keep sliping and the chances are you will end-up with uncentered holes. Drill small holes first:

post-9-1087055227.jpg

• SRC Member

Now you have to join the rows of holes.

If you have a dremel tool, this might be easier for you. otherwise you have to do it in some other way, like with a hot blade

post-9-1087055565.jpg

• SRC Member

Once this is done, the best is to find a solution to hold the siphoning pipe well centered. I desided to modify two standard pipe diameter adapters. I cut off the sides:

post-9-1087056061.jpg

• SRC Member

Cut in this way and by using two at a 90deg angle, the pipe will remain in the center and the water will flow freely.

Note: the hole diameter of the piece that slides on the pipe had to be modified. I did this using a swiss knife blade to scrape the platic away and a lot of patience.

post-9-1087056317.jpg

• SRC Member

And finally, the end product:

Used a valve with screw sittings to make future piping modifications easier. I did not glue the overflow pipe to the center pipe to allow taking it apart for eventual cleaning. It holds with a plastic strap.

once incorporated with the rest of the piping and the sump, it performs very well. i only had trouble starting the siphon part. I ended up sinking it in a big plastic container full of water and twist it around to remove all the air. The only I installed it in the tank with the valve closed at first.

• SRC Member

Hi blackpuma,

There are many qualities of mitre boxes. you can find really cheap ones in wood for a few dollars. the one I have is a medium quality one got it for around S$20 if I remember well at ACE hardware.

• SRC Member

Hi there!

Thanks for all the kind comments :P !

Piping dimensions are 3/4" for the small pipe and 1.5" or 2" for the large pipe I think. I selected the parts mainly by playing around with them in the hardware store until I found some that fit together well.

I am using a laguna No 5 as return pipe going through the chiller. Not sure about the flowrate. I have not measured it yet. I expect it to be running at around 1000L/h with my fow regulating valve not fully open.

As for the profession, I'm more of an industrial engineer. DIY is a hobby that I've nejoyed since I'm a kid ;)

Hi there!

Thanks for all the kind comments :P !

Piping dimensions are 3/4" for the small pipe and 1.5" or 2" for the large pipe I think. I selected the parts mainly by playing around with them in the hardware store until I found some that fit together well.

I am using a laguna No 5 as return pipe going through the chiller. Not sure about the flowrate. I have not measured it yet. I expect it to be running at around 1000L/h with my fow regulating valve not fully open.

As for the profession, I'm more of an industrial engineer. DIY is a hobby that I've nejoyed since I'm a kid ;)

Hi,

Overall material, how much did u spend? BTW, the 3/4" pipe and the 2" pipe is it just fitting or it can be easily shift up and down?

bro, well done.

• SRC Member

Hi Domino,

Me too an avid diy'er here. I wish I had the time to build everything and anything instead of getting it off the shelf.

And I can see that you are someone that is proud of your own work or else you won't use a mitre box. People that do not care will just anyhow say and hamtam all the parts together.