My Reef Maniac Dual Beckett Skimmer

Achilles Tang

Just like to add that this Reef Maniac skimmer Dual-Beckett Commercial Series DK1-1055-DB is currently running only on ONE beckett driven by an Iwaki MX-70. It has a 10 inch diameter reaction chamber and a 7 inch diameter riser tube. It stands at 4.5ft/1.4m tall! On its stand above sump level, its taller than me at 1.92m!

If driven correctly to spec, I will need another pressure-rated pump eg. another MX-70 or a MD-55 to drive the other beckett but that would mean I have to tee-off the MX-70 to drive one beckett and act as the main return pump and connect up the MD-55 to drive the other beckett.... I think when I do that I will probably skim the fishes out of my tank as well... :lol:

I'm amazed at the the speed of foam production and how dirty it can get within 2 days... I'm not taking any photos of the 3rd day's skimmate production because it's too dirty to even see the difference in my collection cup. Maybe I'll take a photo of the tissue wipe of 7 day's worth of skimmate! :sick:

This Reef Maniac skimmer is very solidly built with extra acrylic braces to make it leak proof. It is made of black and clear acrylic and looks very professional. The holes in the flanges are very well cut.

The acrylic edges, however, are not sanded & rounded off so the edges can be quite sharp. Hopefully, future models will have this feature so handling of the unit will be easier on the hands for clumsy people like me! ;)

A lot of details went into the design of this skimmer and In terms of maintenance, I can vouch that the Reef Maniac skimmer is a lot easier to break apart for cleaning compared to quite a few beckett skimmers out there.

This monster of a skimmer would be excellent for commercial tanks or large home aquarias... with excellent foam production, a high turnover of water... promised to meet the needs of anyone who can overlook the high cost of electrical consumption vs the speed and power of beckett skimming!! :bow:

Note: beckett skimmers do produce a loud hissing sound due to the air intake (which can be muffled) so if your family members demand zero noise, this skimmer isn't for you! ;)

These days, I can spend quite a few minutes a day just LOOKING at amazement at the skimmer and seeing the foam ball rise & rise! :lol:

AT

I think in that case, 24 hours of skimmate will be like the current 36's hours worth! ;)

I'll be cleaning my collection cup every 3 days! LOL!!!

• SRC Member
I think in that case, 24 hours of skimmate will be like the current 36's hours worth! ;)

I'll be cleaning my collection cup every 3 days! LOL!!!

hhhmmmm....if we assume dual beckett is twice the effectiveness of a single beckett....that mean 12hrs of dual beckett = 24hrs of single beckett.....

hhhhmmmm....maybe joe has to invent a self-cleaning collection cup, every 24hrs flush the collection cup with tap water and into the toilet bowl....