I Hate Hairy Crabs!!!!

I was wondering why a few of my acro colonies didn't have polyps extended and then I saw it... hairy acro crabs... known to eat acropora polyps and doing just that!!! AARRGGH!!!

Out came the pincers and gotcha... the big ones got the sharp point into their mouths and instant death... the smaller ones got yanked out.

Danano was at my place a couple of weeks back and his sharp eyes spotted one on my blue tort that has a receding patch... and yes, you guessed it... a tiny hairy acro crab! :(

I seemed to be hunting crabs with a vengeance now... just took out 3 crabs... biggest one had a carapace the size of a 1 cent coin.

They are easily IDed by hairs on their legs and they seem to have whitish/blue eyes. Their claws also have black-tips. These are definitely not filter-feeders like the smooth and white Porcelain Crabs that inhabit acropora corals.

post-22-1069089155.jpg

• SRC Member

I have two of these and I kept checking everyday that they are alright! I thought they are cute and good for the scro since they came together. Wah lao...I damn sotong!!

They shall not live past tonight!

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

While I was moving some LR last week, I saw one as big as 1" climbing around the stack of LR which have been left dry for weeks. Imagine their survivability.

I know I still have one in my tank, just cannot find it.

Btw, what about those commensual crab that comes with acro, those should be alright right ?

While I was moving some LR last week, I saw one as big as 1" climbing around the stack of LR which have been left dry for weeks. Imagine their survivability.

I know I still have one in my tank, just cannot find it.

Btw, what about those commensual crab that comes with acro, those should be alright right ?

Actually, yours may be a different species... no way these crabs can survive even 24 hours without water. They dehydrate and die. The ones I caught last night at 12 midnight are already dried and dead this morning! :evil:

Commensual crabs are different from these crabs.

• SRC Member

These hairy crabs are very common in rocks of local waters. Almost every piece of rock collected locally has one ot two in them. best to get rid of tem as they attack fishes when the fishes are asleep.zzz zzz zzz, Ouch!!!

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

I've never seen the rock hairy crabs attack acros before. It's always the type of hairy crab that's already on the wild colony that eats the polyps. I'll always pull them out before I epoxy the colony down and feed those furry guys to my hungry hermits.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I put my hairy acro crab into my wife's cute little damsel tank ... :rolleyes:

Is that a glimpse of what hell will be like? DOWLR.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Supporter
My acro is too dense and my pincers cannot reach in to pull out the crabs. How? Any other ways to get the crabs out. My acro doesn't seem to be suffering from the crabs?

Stab them with something sharp..... it works for me....