D.I.Y. Additive

sunny03

• SRC Member

D.I.Y. Additive

Here is a nice little magnesium additive secret, one that I am sure many reef aquarium additive companies don't want you to hear about, Epsom Salt. Yep, the stuff that your grandmother uses for tired muscles, aches, pains and a mild laxative has a use in your reef tank. Epsom Salt, or MgSO4.7H2O, is easily available from the local chemist, pharmacy or drug store (depending on what you call it) and in some cases a supermarket. A half kilogram box should not cost more than a couple of dollars, which sure beats twenty or more for a commercial additive.

The dosing rate is simply: to increase the magnesium concentration by 100 ppm, add 1 gram of Epsom Salt per litre of water. As with anything change with the water parameters, take it slowly, and any sensitive corals will soon show effects when things are altered too fast for them. The following is the system that can be use to add magnesium using Epsom Salt.

Calculate the total system volume, including tank, sump, and other water containing equipment. Don't forget that rock and sand takes up water volume and that tanks are not filled right to the top.

Measure the magnesium level currently of the water, determine what level is being aimed for, and calculate the concentration increase that is required to reach this level. Note that natural sea water has a level of around 1,300 ppm. If the increase required is more than 200 ppm then consider doing the increase in several steps over several days.

To obtain the mass of Epsom Salt to add in grams, multiply the system water volume (in litres) by the dosing rate (1 gram per litre), then by the concentration increase (ppm) and divide by 100 (ppm). As an equation this looks like this:

Mass Epsom Salt (grams) = 1 (grams/litre) * Water Volume (litre) * Magnesium Concentration Increase (ppm) / 100 (ppm)

Weight or measure out the mass of Epsom Salt required. Because this is on a mass basis, either easy access to an accurate weighing scale or an one off access is required. If one is available, then just weigh it out as required. If not, then this be solved by using a small measuring cup, spoon or plastic container and determine how much one measure of Epsom Salt from this weighs. Be careful if the type of Epsom Salt used is changed, as it's density can change and therefore the correct mass will not be measuring out in the future.

Take out about a litre of water from the reef tank into a plastic container and add the required mass of Epsom Salt to the water. Stir until it is fully dissolved. Increase or decrease the dissolving water volume as required for the amount to be added.

Pour magnesium water into the tank in an area of high water flow and turbulence. This will allow it to be mixed in rapidly with the water. In front of a pump outlet or inlet is a good place for this. Avoid pouring into areas where it will come into contact with corals, invertebrate etc before mixing in correctly.

If a over 200 ppm concentration increase is required, then wait until the next day before adding the next amount.

Test the water several hours later, if not the next day, to check the magnesium level. Note that it is not a good idea to check it straight away, as it takes time for it to mix in and equilibrate.

But will using this type of additive could cause any long-term effects or problems? Note that the magnesium exists as a sulphate salt in Epsom Salt, in a one to one ratio. If Epsom Salt is added to the water to increase the magnesium levels then there will also be an increase in the sulphate levels. To determine if this will be much of a problem, the various species concentrations in natural water have to be considered:

Magnesium, Mg = 1,300 ppm

Sulphur, S = 900 ppm

Chlorine, Cl = 19,500 ppm

By a rough approximation, it can be assume that all the sulphur present is found as sulphate, SO42-. Note that both the magnesium and sulphate exist in comparative concentrations, around 1,000 ppm. Therefore for a given increase in the magnesium concentration achieved by using Epsom Salt, a comparative increase in the sulphate concentration will also occur. In contrast if the magnesium additive magnesium chloride (MgCl2) is used the effect will be smaller. This results from the factor of fifteen higher concentration of chloride over that of magnesium.

Now for as how this applies to our reef aquariums, I think that the increase in sulphate concentrations should not cause any problems. Low magnesium levels cause more, and the amount of Epsom Salt required to maintain the magnesium concentrations once they are up to the correct level is small. But having said that, it is better to strive for the conditions that our system inhabitants are adapted to and have evolved in. If a source of magnesium chloride that is not expensive and can be afforded can be found then go ahead and use it. Although because of the ease of access, price and simplicity of use, Epsom Salt is a great place to start, or even end with, maintaining magnesium concentrations.

this is wat i found on web hope that help ppl with magnesium problem

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
Have you tried it yourself? If not i would like to try out on my tank as well.

heehee i myself trying myself in my tank

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

It's a very well written article! Covering everything on Mg as well as dosing of Epsom salt. If u got all this from elsewhere, it's better to quote the source/writer as a form of courtesy.

This will provide a lot of help for those who are having trouble with bringing up the magnesium level.

• SRC Member

Just my 2cents

Using this method was talk about in RC and it would pointed out that over a long time span Sulphur would build up in your tank..which is harmful...

Can anyone confirm this :)

Just bulk order Magnesium salts safer and still save alot :)

;)

• SRC Member
Just my 2cents

Using this method was talk about in RC and it would pointed out that over a long time span Sulphur would build up in your tank..which is harmful...

Can anyone confirm this :)

Just bulk order Magnesium salts safer and still save alot :)

;)

someone gotta start it!

• SRC Member

I'm not sure if there is a testkit for sulphur. I've checked Salifert and they don't have one.

Still, the cost difference is great comparing Epsom Salts to "marine-safe Mg additives". For my case, I used 9 packs of only $4.20 each.

So far so good. Hope the Mg level maintains so that I don't have to add much more in the future.

• SRC Member
I'm not sure if there is a testkit for sulphur. I've checked Salifert and they don't have one.

Still, the cost difference is great comparing Epsom Salts to "marine-safe Mg additives". For my case, I used 9 packs of only $4.20 each.

So far so good. Hope the Mg level maintains so that I don't have to add much more in the future.

WOW that is cheap :)

I think HACH has test kits on it..

What is the weight per pack?

Ming

• SRC Member
saving $20 for thousands of $$$$ of live stock and setup?

count me out...

Actually, cost is not the main concern here.

My apologies ... I should have clarified that I'm no chemist and I'm not an expert in reef aquaria either.

Therefore, I rely heavily on what I can find on the internet. Hopefully, the sources I get my information from are reliable and reputable.

Here's one to share with all.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm

I really hope the above so called "advancedaquarist" site is reliable and reputable because I'm staking the health of my precious corals on it.

And here's another one if you're interested.

http://ozreef.org/content/view/24/29/

Happy reefing ... let's learn together. Cheers.

• SRC Member
It works....but I almost dosed 5kg of epsom salt+Mg Cl to raise the Mg level. Cost me a bomb but it is worth it.

Hi Patrick123!

**Remember u had a posting of this but could not find it so got to borrow this thread**

Can you reveal more about what you learn from the lesson? I am eager to find out some..... Hope you can help 'cos I have know the use of EPSOM salt to raise the Mg long time but never really tried. I have even bought a packet of it but didn't have the courage to dose all 'cos I am too 'meow' on buying Mg testkit **$50 over for the Saliert** to test.

Questions:

1) Can you roughly tell us how much EPSOM salt to raise say 1ppm? For example, 10g of EPSOM salt crystal to 1litres of distill water = ??? ppm. Distill water is easily available in most gas station mart as battery water. Why distill water? 'cos it is pure water. If cannot, then tap water also okay lah..... though the tap water parameter will vary slightly from area to area.

2) After bringing up the Mg level to the recommended level, what did u observed? For example, corals open bigger, fish more colourful etc etc. Or even something like, able to dose more calcium and carbonate into your tank now......

Reason:

From what I gather the information here and there, "Mg is something like a bond for calcium and the carbonates. It can means that you may able to pack more calcium and carbonate in the same amount of water OR with that you may get a more "stable" water. I don't really know for sure..... Also, apart from that liveaquria didn't mention Mg for any of the requirement in their fish or coral leh.....

**A very confusing questions :D , hope you understand what I am trying to say**

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
It works....but I almost dosed 5kg of epsom salt+Mg Cl to raise the Mg level. Cost me a bomb but it is worth it

Hi Patrick123!

**Remember u had a posting of this but could not find it so got to borrow this thread**

Can you reveal more about what you learn from the lesson?  I am eager to find out some..... Hope you can help 'cos I have know the use of EPSOM salt to raise the Mg long time but never really tried.  I have even bought a packet of it but didn't have the courage to dose all 'cos I am too 'meow' on buying Mg testkit **$50 over for the Saliert** to test.

Kareen,

I use a mix of Epsom salt and Tropic Marine Bio-Mg. Understand that Epsom salt is Mg Sulfate??, and TM Bio-Mg is Mg Sulfate??+Mg Cloride. I'm just mixing the two. So far no issue with it. I used about 10 box of Epsom salt, and 3 bottles of TM Bio-Mg. That's 10*$4.20 + 3x$30 = $132 which is still a small bomb for me. For the same money, I could have change out all the salt water.

Questions:

1) Can you roughly tell us how much EPSOM salt to raise say 1ppm?  For example, 10g of EPSOM salt crystal to 1litres of distill water = ??? ppm.  Distill water is easily available in most gas station mart as battery water.  Why distill water? 'cos it is pure water.  If cannot, then tap water also okay lah..... though the tap water parameter will vary slightly from area to area.

You can use the calculator here:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

2) After bringing up the Mg level to the recommended level, what did u observed?  For example, corals open bigger, fish more colourful etc etc. Or even something like, able to dose more calcium and carbonate into your tank now......

I notice that after the Mg level reach 1350, my kh is more or less stable at about 10dkh. Used to be around 7dkh, after I top up to 10dkh, it drop back to 7 in a few days. With the stable Kh, the ph is more stable as well. and this makes quite a difference in the behavior of the coral.

Reason:

From what I gather the information here and there, "Mg is something like a bond for calcium and the carbonates.  It can means that you may able to pack more calcium and carbonate in the same amount of water OR with that you may get a more "stable" water.  I don't really know for sure.....  Also, apart from that liveaquria didn't mention Mg for any of the requirement in their fish or coral leh.....

**A very confusing questions  :D , hope you understand what I am trying to say**

You can read this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Hope this helps.

Patrick

• SRC Member

thank pat. I will go thru' your references....

BTW, you didn't perform a simple measurement of just mixing say 10g of EPSOM salt on say 1 litres of pure water/tap water and then measure Mg? This information will be useful in the sense that one can use less of the Mg testkit for future top up. :lol: **my meow meow sense again lah**

• SRC Member

Kareen,

This Mg thing is very dynamic especially for a large tank. You cannot just calculate the right amount and dump it in and call it a day. After you dose the Mg, if you take a measurement an hour later, the value will be different from what you measure the next day. So you have to do a trial and error. Dose and wait and measure and then dose again.

Too high on Mg will coz harm to your coral so please be careful.

Also, I will not recommend anyone dosing anything without a proper way of measuring what they dose. So a test kit is a must....and salifert is highly recommended.

• SRC Member
This Mg thing is very dynamic especially for a large tank. You cannot just calculate the right amount and dump it in and call it a day. After you dose the Mg, if you take a measurement an hour later, the value will be different from what you measure the next day. So you have to do a trial and error. Dose and wait and measure and then dose again.

Too high on Mg will coz harm to your coral so please be careful.

Also, I will not recommend anyone dosing anything without a proper way of measuring what they dose. So a test kit is a must....and salifert is highly recommended.

Yes sir! But I have eat a lot of shits before.... of course will do it with caution. hahaha.

• SRC Member
You can use the calculator here:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

how to use this calculator? Do you have to fill in all the blank for it to work? Tried at the Mg calculator, click and click no magic come out leh....

• SRC Member

Based on my own experience, one pack of Epsom Salts (375g) will raise my tank's Mg by about 75ppm. My tank is a 4x2x2.5 + 2.5x1.5x1.5 sump. Minus sand, rocks, etc left with approximately 500 litres of water.

I've used it for my old tank for two years. I'm now using it again for my new tank. So far still OK. :)